Windows Update Causes Keyboard and Mouse to Stop Working Upon Startup

AlexReitz

Commendable
Jul 12, 2017
I have a windows desktop machine that went through an update last night. My machine has been running on windows 10 since last summer and I have had no problems with it until this update. After the update my computer restarted, it got to the screen where I would put in my password to go to the desktop, and the keyboard and mouse would not respond or power on. I have tried power cycling and changing out the USB ports where the devices are plugged in with no luck. It appears as though it is a problem with the firmware or drivers. I cannot get into the desktop to change anything from the control panel or settings since the devices used to navigate are not responding.

The strange part is that the computer and mouse will work for a few moments when the computer is first powered on, before the system fully boots the Windows OS. This means that I am able to get into the bios on the Mobo by tapping F2 on the keyboard. Once the computer boots into Windows the devices no longer work.

I was able to restore the computer to a time before the update last night by tapping F8 and going through the menu to a restore point from the day before. Unfortunately the problem is persisting and I am still not able to use the keyboard or mouse even after restoring to a point before the update.

Something else worth mentioning is that I also have a blue Yeti Mic plugged in and when I changed the USB port that it was plugged into to the port where the keyboard was plugged in, it continued to function and received power. This indicates that there is a problem with the computer recognizing and working with the keyboard and mouse I have.

I have a corsair K70 keyboard and a logitech G502 mouse.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem then please let me know! Thanks

Solution
Hello AlexReitz

Can you please try this:

> Go to Device Manager

> Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree

> Right-click and uninstall all the instances of the USB device. (Assuming that you are using the USB mouse and keyboard)

> Restart Windows and let it detect the keyboard and mouse and install their drivers automatically.

Please report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)
Hello AlexReitz

Can you please try this:

> Go to Device Manager

> Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree

> Right-click and uninstall all the instances of the USB device. (Assuming that you are using the USB mouse and keyboard)

> Restart Windows and let it detect the keyboard and mouse and install their drivers automatically.

Please report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

Solution