Ive just built a new computer, however when i turn it on, my monitor wont detect it.

Ninski

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
so ive juts built myself a new computer, however when i turn it on and connect it to my monitor, it just says that it has "no signal". everything in the computer seems to be running just fine, fans are spinning, leds are glowing and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. i know that the monitor is working properly, as it is the one i used on my previous pc. if anyone has any idea on what the problem might be, please let me know!

thanks for helping out :))

Solution
I had this problem recently.
First you should try taking the graphics card out of your computer and plugging your monitor straight into your motherboard, if your PC starts working it is because your graphics card is dead. Ive had a couple of brand new GPUs turn out completely dead when I plugged them in, even though their fans were spinning.
If this doesnt work, take all sticks of RAM out of your system except one then boot. If still no post, replace the stick of RAM with one of your other ones to see if its one of your RAM sticks that are dead.
If you still dont have post, then the problem is either your monitor, motherboard or CPU. Though its more rare that it's one of these three.
Whatever component isnt working will have to be...

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
I had this problem recently.
First you should try taking the graphics card out of your computer and plugging your monitor straight into your motherboard, if your PC starts working it is because your graphics card is dead. Ive had a couple of brand new GPUs turn out completely dead when I plugged them in, even though their fans were spinning.
If this doesnt work, take all sticks of RAM out of your system except one then boot. If still no post, replace the stick of RAM with one of your other ones to see if its one of your RAM sticks that are dead.
If you still dont have post, then the problem is either your monitor, motherboard or CPU. Though its more rare that it's one of these three.
Whatever component isnt working will have to be replaced.
It is also important for you to tell us your system specs when you have an issue like this, there are a few cases where doing everything I just recommended wont work so you should try them without letting us know what you have first.

Oh, also make sure to go through a PC building tutorial on youtube to make sure you didnt miss any crucial steps.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Solution

Could be a ryzen PC with no dedicated GPU, or kabylake CPU in older motherboard that needs a BIOS update or other incompatibility issues. Thus knowing system specs is important before testing/replacing anything.

TRENDING THREADS