How output 4K from PC to 4KTV?

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi, I have my 4K TV connected to my PC as a secondary extended display (primary display is a 1080p monitor) to watch 1080p movie files from my PC, but somehow if I change my VC output for the secondary display to 4K, the desktop will be shrinked with black areas around on the TV. How can I fix this? Thanks.

- TV is my "Extended" monitor, so I can drag things between my monitor and TV.

- My Video Card is GEForce GTX650 which supports 4K:
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications/

- Using a 4K HDMI cable from PC to TV.

Your GPU will only output one resolution. It cannot provide different resolutions for each display. So if your primary display is 1080p, then your second display will only be at 1080p as well no matter what its native resolution is. Your only option is to connect your 4K TV to your onboard graphics (IF your motherboard supports 4K output driven from the integrated CPU graphics).

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
@10tacle So you are saying the problem is my computer monitor being a non 4K display? But it does show that it's displaying 4K resolution on my 4K TV though, it's just not displaying correctly. So if get a 4K monitor, my extended screen will not have the black areas on my 4K TV?

I don't believe my motherboard supports 4K output...

Thanks.

What I'm saying is that your second monitor/TV will only output the format of what your primary display is. So you are looking at a 1080p format video input on your 4K screen. You'd have to get both monitors at the same resolution. I have this issue when running a 1440p primary monitor and a 1080p secondary monitor except in reverse - I'm getting a massive 1440p display format on a smaller 1080p monitor and the window is huge.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

This is wrong, or at least not always right. I've run 2 displays connected to the same GPU at different resolutions several times in the past.

I'd love to know how. Because I've never been able to do it with any of my Nvidia GPUs. Maybe it's different for AMD?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I really can't say, never had an Nvidia card. But for me, if I hook up two displays, I can set the resolution of each independently, just using windows settings (right click on desktop>display settings). I can't remember if I've done it with a 4k display (although I think I may have), but I've definitely done it with a 1440p + 1080p display.

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Can someone confirm this? Keep in mind that I am using extended and not mirror/duplicate.

I want to make sure that I really need a 4K monitor so I can have 4K view on my 4K TV before I buy a new monitor.

How is your other monitor hooked up to the GPU?
Did you install the Nvidia video card drivers?
If the TV is the only thing hooked up to the GPU, can you set it to 4k?
I'm wondering if your GPU is only powerful enough to run a single 4k display and nothing else, which it might be considering how old and weak it is.

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

Both my pc monitor and tv are hooked up to my video card. I am not sure if my GPU is powerful enough to run 4k though... would it matter if I am not hooking it up to my GPU?

SPECIFICALLY HOW?
The 650 can run a 4k display, but it may only be able to run that and nothing else, so try it with only the TV.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

On my laptop I run extended desktop onto a second external monitor that is a different resolution to the laptop display. I do this all the time [with several second displays in different workplaces] and the resolutions on each display are different and independent. I can even decide if the second monitor is left/right or above/below the laptop and that helps when moving the mouse from one display to the other across the extended desktop.

I thought is is how they all work. It's kinda windows not AMD/Nvidia.

Now with a dual or replicated then the lowest resolution wins and the other is down scaled and can look horrible.