Cheap windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

us545us

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Anyone know of a way not to spend $120 on an OS? I'll be building a PC soon and that's kind of a lot for an OS imo.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no cheap. It costs what it costs, just like all the other parts in your system. Software is no different.

If $120 is too much, you could try your hand at making your own OS. See how that goes.

You can download windows 10 from Microsoft, install it and not activate it with a purchased key. However, you can't change personalization settings and you get a lot of nag screens. Other than that, it's fully functional. You do run the risk of Microsoft disabling it sometime in the future. The other alternative is to install a Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu or Mint. Othat than those, the cost of an OS is part of building a PC and you need to budget for it.

Ok 1, like others have said on here $120 is not a lot for an OS. That's the cost of two new games and it runs literately everything on your computer. It's the price of not using Linux. If you're willing to put down the cash for the hardware, be willing to put down the cash for the single most important piece of software you'll run on that hardware.

2. If you go with an OEM copy of Windows 10 home you can get it for under $120. OEM has more limitations with its licensing (tied to hardware its installed on) than a Retail copy. This link here will show you some vendors to pick from. Keep in mind your install media type. If you have an optical drive, it doesn't matter, you can go with CD or flash drive. If you don't have an optical drive, either pay more for the USB version or borrow/find a computer with an optical that you can create a bootable USB drive on with the CD install media.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgPxr/microsoft-os-kw900140

3. If you're a student, you may have access to a free copy of Windows. Check with your school.

4. I believe you can still use an older OS (Win 7 & 8.1) and use that key to install/upgrade to 10. Win7 and 8 tends to run less for a home copy. However I'm not 100% sure on this since the whole free upgrade was supposed to end a while ago but people keep reporting that they can still do this.

5. You will find REALLY cheap prices on copies from some online sellers. Do NOT buy from these vendors. These are typically people selling pulled keys from systems. The legality is at best gray and often ends up with they key getting banned at some point. I really only mention this because someone on these kinds of posts always mentions "Buy it here for super cheap" and it's something you want to avoid.

Something sounds shady about that. I doubt they are doing it legally. MS shut down the Win10 upgrade, no exceptions. I was caught up in that while being on vacation and my download failed with a loss of power during the last week of the upgrade offer. I tried explaining everything to no avail. It was my problem, not theirs, and I was the slack dummy for not doing it sooner. Needless to say, putting off what can be done today for tomorrow cost me $105. That free upgrade ship has sailed.

As of May of this year I've been seeing articles from places like ZDnet and Cnet posting how to still upgrade, as well as posters on this website that have done it. It seems there's still a hold over for accessibility users to still upgrade and the activation servers don't seem to care one way or the other. Either way, its not like you're loading a crack, it's all done on the up and up through MS's own activation server so there shouldn't be any legality issues. Given that you can get a copy of Win7 or Win8.1 for maybe $10 less than Win10, I wouldn't say it's worth the gamble. But the OP did ask for cheaper options and it's a better option than going through a gray market dealer for pulled keys.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Linux is a viable option as well. We don't recommend the grey market Windows re-sellers. Those are strictly buyer beware.

Lots of good advice already given. Good luck.

^^That's only for assisted technology users (voice assistance, eye movement tracking, etc.). The consensus is that MS is not policing those who are lying saying they use Microsoft approved assistance tech.

Personally, I just don't find that ethical and moral and really only hurts those who *are* handicapped and need assisted PC access tech and software. For me, it's the same as parking in a handicapped spot or using the wheelchair elevator.

Status
Not open for further replies.