Windows 10 upgrade on my hard drive and trying to get it on my new SSD

Barkuz

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Hi, I am building a new PC (the parts will be end by the end of the day tomorrow) and among the new parts, I'm getting an SSD. I'm migrating my hard drive from this current prebuilt I have because its already 1TB and has all my stuff on it. I'm upgrading this hard drive to windows 10 and I'd like to get windows 10 on my SSD and use that as the bootdrive, but I'm unsure if I need a whole different product license for that SSD. I've been unable to find anything relevant on this website, so apologies if this has already been answered already.

My question in case it was unclear: Do I need to buy windows 10 for my new SSD or will it accept the hard drive's windows 10 license?

Solution
Did the previous prebuilt come with win 10 or did you update it from win 7 or 8? If you upgraded from 7 or 8, do this now before changing anything - reactivating win 10 on new hardware

If pre built had win 10 on it, you may not be able to do that step if the PC was made by a big OEM (like Dell) as their licences only work on the original PC. All other OEM should be able to use the above link to move licence

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

then when you get new PC together, reinstall win 10 onto it with just SSD installed, do 2nd part of the link above to reactivate, and then go from there :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did the previous prebuilt come with win 10 or did you update it from win 7 or 8? If you upgraded from 7 or 8, do this now before changing anything - reactivating win 10 on new hardware

If pre built had win 10 on it, you may not be able to do that step if the PC was made by a big OEM (like Dell) as their licences only work on the original PC. All other OEM should be able to use the above link to move licence

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

then when you get new PC together, reinstall win 10 onto it with just SSD installed, do 2nd part of the link above to reactivate, and then go from there :)

Solution