Need advice choosing between i5-4460 and i5-4690K based on overall system specs

Anton_de_flow

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
I've been using the pentium g3258 with gtx 750 for a little over two years now, overclocked to 4GHz... later underclocked to 3.8 GHz since it wasn't as stable anymore and upgraded to a gtx 960 4gb gaming. As of late the cpu has started to slow down multitasking and i think it is the cause to games crashing more frequently, it also thermal throttles a lot and i wont be upgrading to the DDR4 platform since money... im pretty torn between the (Core i5 4460) and (Core i5-4690K Devils Canyon).

Where i can get them both cheapest the 4460 goes for like 310 US and the 4690K 237 US but i will be needing a Windows 10 pro key and three Noctua NF-S12A fans since i still have the stock fans which are pretty loud... so 101 US for that those.
I can save like 72 US if i go with the 4460 witch can be used for savings but i need advise choosing.

I play games like dark souls 3 and fallout 4 in 1080p occasionally but would like them to run without crashing all the time and bee able to multitask as well. Four cores is more than i ever had, but will 3.2 GHz with 3,4 GHz turbo clock be enough speed wise or does 3,5 GHz with the ability to overclock work better? Would like to try mirror's edge catalyst at some point witch demands four cores.

Here are my specs in case im missing a factor:

CPU - Intel Pentium G3258 3.2 GHz anniversaary edition (Overclocked to 3.8 GHz)

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 960 4gb

RAM - 4x2 gb "Generic" Crucial DDR3 1600 MHz 8 gb totall

MOBO - MSI Z97M-G43

PSU - Cooler Master G650M

SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Samsung (10 % over provisioning)

HDD - Some old 2.5" Seagate drive for storage

CPU - Cooler - Noctua NH-U9B SE2

Chassi - Cooler Master Silencio 352 Mini Tower

NZXT Sentry mix fan controller (Since my current mobo doesn`t seem to work with speedfan as the old on did.

Buy the i5 4690k used. A CPU practically lasts forever. A new one probably has a 5% greater chance, at most, of lasting another 10 years. Failure rates are less than 1% per year.

Microsoft allows you to run Windows 10 without a key indefinitely. If you can live with a watermark and a couple very minor personalization options missing. You can run it as long as you want. I don't know why they decided to do this. As that is what they chose to do. Why not go with it?

Get Arctic F12 PWM PST 5-Pack fans. They are very quiet and perform exceptionally well. For a lot less than the Noctua. After a lot of research and reviews these are what I bought. I couldn't be happier.

Follow these money saving tips and you may be able to get a used Core i7-4790K instead.

Anton_de_flow

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for the money saving tips but i slept on it and i think i'll go with the a unused 4460 with the noctua fans and a licensed copy of windows 10. I will be needing some compressed aircans and isopropyl alcohol to clean the heatsink so thats extra money. If the games dont run at high settings ill bump the reselution down. Just want a overall more stabble system + plus my monitor is nothing to brag about.

Anton_de_flow

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

You're right it, would be a waste of potential in the long run so fudge it. Ill go with the 4690K and just clean the case fans as thoroughly as i can (An i7 would be beyond my needs & wallet)

Gonna try the windows 10 unlicensed the rest of the month and buy a pro key next month insteead.