Acer Monitor Short Circuit Diagnostics

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
SOLVED - TL;DR: A short circuit in the monitor did NOT occur. Either the transformer or both the transformer and AC/DC converter in the power adapter shorted.

UPDATE: Turns out the power adapter (power brick) took one for the team, that's what the power surge killed, not the monitor. Ordered a replacement (future readers with similar Acer models: see bottom of thread!) obviously along with two types of surge protectors, totaling 18 protected sockets. I dodged a hell of a bullet, PC or the far more expensive G-Sync monitor could have died, $29 power adapter is a slap on the wrist by the PC gods. Buy surge protectors folks.

And this confirms that Windows 10 can "detect" unpowered devices and even put application windows on that phantom device, for anyone that's curious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! The power of the whole house just flickered (hard shut off like a blackout, but immediately came back on). All my electronics function fine except one of 2 monitors - LED indicator is off, power button does nothing, I checked all power/vga connections.

I'm fairly certain the monitor has shorted BUT the curious thing is that my PC detects the connection. When I powered the PC back on and Restored my Chrome tabs it actually threw the Chrome windows I had open on that monitor (before the power off) back to that monitor.

Not sure if Windows 10 can detect a monitor connection if it's dead. If it can and Windows just has a "phantom connection" so to speak, that means it's more likely the monitor is dead. If Windows cannot detect connections of unpowered devices, that means the monitor may be salvageable but the power button is malfunctioning.

Anyone know if Windows can detect unpowered devices? Any ideas on how I can diagnose this? Before I go and open up the monitor I mean, I know that's the only "real" way to confirm a short.

Also I know I'm an idiot cheapskate for not having surge protectors, I just had a mini panic attack (because my main monitor is worth triple this one, and the pc far more) and ordered several w/Amazon prime.

Monitor Model: ACER LED 23" 5MS S230HL ABD

Solution

My question was to determine if the power input to the monitor is 120 Volt AC, or is there a transformer that converts 120VAC to a...

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Don't have renter's insurance, even if I did I couldn't give a [censored] about insurance, it's a $109 replacement. Dealing with other (more important) insurance issues, I know $109 isn't worth the headache.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can not spend that much to repair it (or if it's even broken at all?) and somewhat more important not go a couple days without a monitor.

Update: Also - what diagram are you talking about? Didn't say a thing about diagrams in the OP...

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

It plugs into a power strip (that I thought had surge protection, cause I'm dumb).

The strip appears to be fine as there are other working devices (namely my PC) plugged into the same strip. I did move the monitor's plug from one socket to another to test if that one socket was dead, as shown by this shitty diagram:

x x x
| = = = = = = |

x x x
| = = = = = = |

Gunna go try the other 2 open sockets now just to make sure.

My question was to determine if the power input to the monitor is 120 Volt AC, or is there a transformer that converts 120VAC to a different voltage that then powers the monitor.

Solution

what they were asking what type of power cord does it have? does it have something like a laptop power connector with a power block in between or is it just a straight power cord that plugs directly into the back of the monitor

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Ah misread, it's laptop-eqsue power brick. The brick's indicator light is also off when plugged in (checked that connection as well, not loose).

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Misread - it's a transformer that takes 100 to 120V input, 19V output.

Edit: Oh so it could be possible that just the transformer is dead?

Murkantilism

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Yup, dead power adapter, I have another monitor of the same model and swapping out the brick brings the monitor "back to life". Thanks for the assistance!

Future readers with a similar Acer mode, I ordered a replacement here.