Can you still activate windows 10 with a windows 7 product key?

windows101

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hi there I was hoping you guys would know the answer to this question.

I am about to build a new a pc. I read some articles from 2016 saying how you could use your windows 7/8 key to activate a fresh install of windows 10. Do you know if this is still possible? I was hoping to avoid the hefty price of a new windows 10 product key

also this is what i was reading : https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

but that is from aug 2016 so I'm not sure if it still works

You can always try.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Did you get Windows 10 on another PC? If so, when you registered the account it should have tied the license to your account. If you log in, you should be able to retrieve your key and activate it. If you never did get Windows 10 before, then I don't think it will work anymore. I could be wrong, but supposedly the free upgrade period is over.

windows101

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hi guys, for anyone reading this and wondering the same thing (as I was when searching). Yes you can use your Windows 7 key to upgrade a fresh install of windows 10! I also did not upgrade to during the free trial on my old PC. So I used ProduKey (Nirsoft) to grab my key from my win7 PC, took a note of it and used it on my new build.