BSOD, Freezing, Screen Flickers / Flashing

Beennn

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Problem:
Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve started to get regular blue screens (more details below) which would happen maybe once per day, and were more likely to occur after logging in. Last week this happened, I restarted the computer and something had seriously gone wrong, it would blue screen almost immediately, sometimes after a few minutes. I tried the ‘reset this PC’ option, opting to remove everything, however that failed with a message that went something along the lines of ‘could not remove everything’. Next I loaded up a USB with windows 10, booted it through the BIOS and formatted the drive manually, cleanly installed windows 10 with no issues, however.. about 30 minutes after the fresh install, BSOD again.

Freezes:
Freezes for about 5-10 seconds, then the screens flash, as though you’ve connected a new monitor. The freezes have only started this morning at about 11am, they were happening at around one per 20 minutes? now they're happening every minute or so.

When frozen, you still have control of the mouse, but everything else can’t be interacted with. Background audio continues when frozen.

Once unfrozen, 50% of the time the program you were last using will minimize, and cannot be unminimized – you can’t close it either, you need to end the process. The other 50% it either resumes as though nothing has happened, or sometimes parts of the application you were using will go completely white (imagining it’s a similar issue to the above) and again the only fix is to restart the application.

BSOD:
I’ve only noted down two of the BSOD’s, there were other variations.

- Stop code: BAD_POOL_HEADER

- Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
What Failed: win32full.sys

Prior to formatting, the BSOD’s were mostly memory focussed when googling.

Computer Specs:
Memory: 4x Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

Storage: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 480GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (SHFS37A/480G)

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 1600W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (120-G2-1600-X3)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8

CPU: Intel i7-6850K 3.60GHz (Broadwell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor - Retail (BX80671I76850K)

Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe II Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Any ideas on what might be causing this to happen, or debug steps to take?

Many thanks,

Ben