Put SSD from one computer to another, now ssd dont work

Ryan_324

Prominent
May 20, 2017
In my system I built brand new 2 months ago I had a 500gb hard drive and 120GB SSD. I just bought a optiplex 790 with a i7 2600 in it. So I removed my hard drive and SSD from my new build and put it into the optiplex 790. The SSD shows up in the boot options but when I select it to boot from their all the shows up is a black screen with a blinking _ in the top left corner and continues that forever. Can someone please help me?

bignastyid

Titan
You can't just move windows from one system to another and expect it to boot or run properly. This is one of the reasons why most(including myself) recommend a clean OS reinstall when moving or reusing the OS drive in another system.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that is about all that is going to happen. the ssd will not boot in the new system. you can only access the data on that drive if you boot to a properly formatted bootable drive for the current system and access the ssd as a secondary drive.

if you wish to repair the installation you will need the windows install media to boot from.

Backup and restore goes beyond just the partitions. It also involves boot sectors and boot flags. More importantly, with UEFI, some of the boot setup may be hardware-dependent on your prior motherboard (when windows installs some customizations may be made depending on hardware present).

If you get this all working you will then find that windows wants a new license due to changing the CPU.