Windows 10 Freezing/Fresh Install/ Need Advice

Rymonk

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi Tom Forum Community,

My friend recently was having issues with his computer where his usb mouse would freeze after being in windows for 20-30 sec. He wanted to wipe it so it would just be his gaming desktop pc so I told him I would do so.

Upon doing a fresh install with a PNY USB 3.0 using the Microsoft USB Tool it continued to do the same issue. My friend asked if I could upgrade his Mobo because he wanted to go to a Z270 anyways as well as upgrade to a bigger SSD.

His build is as follows right now:
Case: NZXT Phantom 420
Power: Corsair 1200 AX Power Supply *New*
CPU: i5-6500 Intel Processor
Cooler: Intel Stock Cooler (Processor sits around 30 degrees celsius)
Motherboard: Asus Z270E-Gaming Mobo *New*
Memory: 16GB DDR4 Ballistic Memory
Graphics: 4GB Nvidia 970 Graphics Card
Storage: 500GB 850 Evo Samsung SSD *New*
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (USB using Microsoft Tool)

Issue:
- Windows 10 would freeze during install sometimes causing to re-install it multiple times
- Windows 10 would throw the "During install the system was restarted unexpectedly". Was able to
fix by going into the registry and setting value to 3.
- When booting up Windows now it will still freeze after a set period of time 20-30 sec sometimes more sometimes less.

Things we've tried:
- Run Windows updates till they say there are none left
- Confirmed through Samsung Magician that firmware on the SSD is most up to date
- Ran through drivers via (Slimware Drivers/Drivers Disc included with Mobo)
- Changed out the Mobo/Power Supply/Memory/SSD (See how everything says *New*
- Set Power Setting to "High Performance"

Just trying to see if I am missing anything? Could it be the CPU? I don't know what else could be causing this issue or what I should be testing. Any help is appreciated.