MSI 970A Gaming Pro Carbon MOBO
AMD FX-8350 CPU
GTX 1060 - OC Edition 3 GB DDR3 MHz GPU
16 GB Cosair Vengeance DDR3 2200 MHz RAM
250G S.S.D
1TB HD
650W Bronze Rated PSU
Windows 10 Pro

I am currently forced to play most games at low settings and find titles such as Player Unknowns Battlegrounds to be almost unplayable. I'm wondering what my bottleneck is and how to most cost-efficiently improve this current gaming setup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
First thing you have to do is reinstall graphics drivers, here is a video tutorial if you need a walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ7lF-rrJrA

Next, tell your graphics card to run at full power:
To change this setting, with your mouse, right-click over the Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
-> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column
-> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance"

You can also tell your cpu it is allowed to use full power by going into control panel under the Power Options and setting it to High performance.
*Both these tweaks are safe and are NOT overclocking*
Doing these three steps will boost your performance greatly, your computer will be running at it's full potential.

However, theres a big chance that the bottleneck is your CPU, games arent optimized to use all 8 of its cores especially games like PUBG.

Getting the Quad core is the best choice, because modern day games are barely optimized enough to use all 4 cores of the Quad core, let alone the 8 cores the FX8350 has.
Theoretically the 8350 performs better than it is in games with all it's cores combined, but games simply arent using its 6-8 cores to their entirety. It will take years for developers to implement 8 core use in their games.

I recommend you upgrade to a decent I5 processor, youll see a massive performance boost in all games.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Usually low settings (ie, graphics: low, medium, high etc) are gpu related rather than cpu related. Try using msi afterburner and monitoring component usage by using the on screen display feature while you're gaming. It will tell you cpu usage and gpu usage in %, if the cpu is at 100% and the gpu is at only 70% you should be able to increase graphics from medium to high without losing frames. The gpu should be able to handle most games just fine, make sure you've got the latest game updates and video drivers.

If it's the cpu that's at 100% and fps are low then you'll need to consider upgrading to intel or ryzen which others pointed out is basically a system overhaul. New cpu, ddr4 ram, motherboard, reinstall of windows.

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016

I have an FX8350 so I speak from experience, there is no way his CPU will go up to 100% usage in any game. Hell be lucky if the CPU goes up to 60% at a time while playing games.
However this is a good point: Use a monitoring software and check if your GPU is under 70% usage; if thats the case and you followed the steps I posted previous, then your CPU is definitely bottlenecking.

Though since I own one as well I could probably just tell you that this is exactly what youll find, and its the same reason I use an I5 on my main gaming rig.