PC vs. Console Gaming: Which Should You Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombarts

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
When factoring in the cost of buying a gaming system you should also take in to account that you're probably going need a PC anyway making that $500 build more acceptable. Along with that you can build a $500 PC that will outperform consoles. If you want to upgrade a PC you can do it one piece at a time when ever you see fit. Also PC will be cheaper in the longer run because then you do not have to pay extra to play online and you can get many games for a much cheaper price.

shaninder singh

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
the only ADVANTAGES i can think of choosing between ps4/xbone over a PC are
1. Friend base (most important to me),
2. Exclusives,
3. Ease of use

thats all,

my pc have (indian rupees)

CPU - 2500k, - 11k (aug 2011)
MOBO - Asrock extreme 4 -10k (aug 2011)
Ram - 16gb ripjaw gskill, 10k (aug 2011-16)
GC - asus 4gb double tower - 16k(april, really disappointed they launched rx 580 after 2 days of purchase :( )

Total Expense from aug 2011 - jul 2017 - 50k (india)

My pc still performs better than my ps4 in most of the games. The best thing about owning a pc is that i gives you "FREEDOM". Things that you can do with it, the multitasking it presents to you. The freedom to change a part single part whenever you like to(please check the compatibility first.) For the fighting games you can use bluetooth device and ps4 controller with your pc. or wireless xbone controller

The frustrating part on a computer is that some game production companies dont provide better support/port on the pc like gta 4, nier automata and etc etc...

I will not write about speed because it depends on ssd and other components but i must say my pc is WAY faster than my PS4.

NOW, people say pc is expensive for gaming, well lets see,

I will take my own ps4 into account

PS4 - 32k (when i bought it sep 2016)
Extra Controller - 4.5k
PSN - 4k (12 Months)
Total - 40500k
Now you will think its still lesser than my pc, but please keep in mind most of my PC components are from "AUG, 2011" (2 years prior to ps4 launch) and the only significance recent upgrade is my GC

Now the frustrating parts come

NAT issues,
Heaphone Compatibility issues
Contant Updates
Games are expensive than pc
rainbow six siege ps4 - 3.5k,
rainbow six siege pc - 1.2k

At last i would like to suggest, buy a computer if you are a loner like me and dont like to compromise on freedom of usability on daily basis. BUT, if you have FRIENDS who may afford ps4 and if you dont want to get annoyed by missing dll's,and out of date drivers, go for ps4 or xbone.

What is hard to explain is how games feel on each. I have both a gaming pc and Xbox one. Take a game like BO3 on both, when running around on the XBox version the game feels slower, like your only running at 80-90% of the speed. I'm not talking smoothness or fps but how fast your character movers across the map.

_Joshan

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Really balanced article - great job. There is one thing I disagree with which you might like to update: getting controllers to work on a PC is a breeze. Getting a Microsoft dongle and connecting 4 Xbox controllers is basically plug and play, and (whilst I haven't tried it) it seems like the PlayStation controllers are another brand that's supported by valve's steam - who on top of this have released a stunning controller (though it's not for everyone.) Steam's big picture offers the ability to remap any normal input to any button of any controller, allowing you to configure any brand to any layout you prefer. Definitely not more trouble than its worth on that front.

As for pc coop games, it's slowly on the rise - but consoles definitely have a wider selection for now.

Scorcher64

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Being both a console and PC gamer, it's really hard to choose, especially now that consoles are on the x86 architecture it's easier to port games back between them. Exclusives and the ability to mod games separates the two with me.

mwwang

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Great article. Regarding: "if couch co-op is your thing, you can pretty much count out a gaming PC". What are your thoughts on https://mirraviz.blog/2017/07/07/mirraviz-multiview-solution/ for multiview gaming using PC/Laptops as input?

faded_robin

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
I can acquire a PC double the power of PS4 for 360 dollars with mouse and keyboard! And you can couch coop on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS