Sandisk SSD Firmware Update - what are the odds there will be data loss?

dman535

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
I have an x400 in my Thinkpad and its due for a firmware update. I have no issues with the drive - so there is no impeding reason to update the drive. I don't know what the update addresses - but what are the odds that data loss will occur on a firmware update?

USAFRet

Titan

Odds are something greater than 0%.
Always, with any update like this...drive firmware, BIOS update, whatever...be prepared for massive fail.

Power cuts accidentally, cat jumps up on the keyboard, etc, etc.

(but you should have a backup anyway)

its a disk drive so you should have a backup anyway. odds are rare there would be any kind of data loss though. you should look around for any issues with the update first. the firmware update may affect transfer rates in a bad way

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
"Odds are something greater than 0%.
Always, with any update like this...drive firmware, BIOS update, whatever...be prepared for massive fail."

I totally agree with USAFRet. If/when I update firmware for SSD's it's always with great trepidation. Usually only do it if there's something that critically needs to be addressed.

My experience with Intel SSD's and their updates has been flawless. I have, however, read mixed things when it comes to Sandisk and a few others. I do own a couple of Sandisks and have held off on updating them. If you do pursue this then follow the instructions they give exactly(still no guarantees) and as mentioned make sure you've backed up everything on the drive.

TRENDING THREADS