Loosing battery when off

Khaled walid

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
Hp envy 14 loosing about 10% of battery when shut down for 1day :( is it a normal thing or there is a wrong thing because i use it for business and i need it everyday and when i need it i found the battery is empty :(

Solution
Check your power options. By default laptops are supposed to be set to never hybrid sleep and to hibernate instead.

The desktop default of hybrid sleep keeps running the RAM at low power and also writes the hibernate file to disk in case of power loss. On a laptop such a setting would cause a constant drain on the battery when unplugged.

Fast startup shouldn't affect this as it is merely hibernate after logging you out.

The other thing I can think of is any BIOS setting that as mentioned keeps the USB ports powered or constantly watches the NIC or modem for wake-on-LAN

As the battery is removable (it's under a panel on the Envy 14) you can check if it rapidly self-discharges even when not installed, which would prove it is...

Khaled walid

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016

No i tried to unplug everything from the device and still the same

how old is your machine? typically those batteries last 2-4 years. you do substantially lose capacity after the first few years.

Wikipedia
"In 2003 it was reported the typical range of capacity loss in lithium-ion batteries after 500 charging and discharging cycles varied from 12.4% to 24.1%, giving an average capacity loss per cycle range of 0.025–0.048% per cycle"

Khaled walid

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016

No it's new i bought it from 3 months

Check your power options. By default laptops are supposed to be set to never hybrid sleep and to hibernate instead.

The desktop default of hybrid sleep keeps running the RAM at low power and also writes the hibernate file to disk in case of power loss. On a laptop such a setting would cause a constant drain on the battery when unplugged.

Fast startup shouldn't affect this as it is merely hibernate after logging you out.

The other thing I can think of is any BIOS setting that as mentioned keeps the USB ports powered or constantly watches the NIC or modem for wake-on-LAN

As the battery is removable (it's under a panel on the Envy 14) you can check if it rapidly self-discharges even when not installed, which would prove it is defective.

Solution