PC completely unusable, Ethernet Adapter

pd2cwe

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
This is honestly driving me insane. I It all started over a week ago, I've asked around many places and people and I've yet to recieve a solution to this.

At completely random intervals, something in my PC decides to disable my Ethernet Adapter. Sometimes, it happens minutes after I turn my PC on. Sometimes, it happens half an hour in. Sometimes, several hours in.

When it happens, I am literally unable to do anything about it. I know it disables my Ethernet Adapter, but if I go to Device Manager, half of the time it doesn't even say it is disabled. And when it does, clicking Enable changes absolutely nothing.

Right clicking the Network icon and choosing ''Troubleshoot Problems'' will end up with me getting stuck on a screen that says something along the lines of ''Reset Ethernet Adapter...''

Attempting to manually disable the Ethernet Adapter right as I lose connection but before I get the whole yellow warning triangle will leave me stuck in that blue circle loading loop. This happens regardless of where I try to disable it, be it in Device Manager or Network and Sharing Center.

When this issue happens, clicking the Sign Out, Sleep, Shut Down and Restart, will do NOTHING. It will simply go to the blank screen saying ''Restarting..'' or whichever option I chose, and it will stay there indefinitely.

The ONLY /temporary/ solution I found to this, is by holding down my power button and forcing my PC to turn off. This is bad, I've already gotten a ''Repairing Harddrive...'' message twice. And like I said before, sometimes this issue happens minutes after turning my PC on, there's been several occasions where I am stuck with restarting for over fifteen minutes.

I have attempted a System Restore on all three options it gave me, and all three of them gave me some sort of an Unspecified Error.

I'm unable to actually do a full fresh reinstall of Windows because of several reasons. The first and most obvious reason being that I have so many files I cannot lose. Secondly, I don't have a laptop or a USB to create a bootable drive again.

All of my Drivers are up to date, I have checked every single one of them individually. All Windows 10 updates are installed. I have also scanned for viruses and malware, found no issues. I used Malwarebytes, BitDefender, and Kaspersky.

I contacted official Microsoft support for Windows 10 about this, they were unable to help. They suggested disabling my Firewalls from BitDefender, and I did, but it did not fix the issue; so I re-enabled it.

If anyone reading this has any kind of suggestions that could have even a tiny bit of chance of fixing this issue, PLEASE reply to this. This is genuinely driving me insane, my PC is almost completely unusable thanks to this - and for no apparent reason. It genuinely did start happening out of nowhere, I don't remember it happening after any Software updates and I certainly have not been downloading things from shady websites - Honestly, I haven't downloaded anything for three months.

EDIT: One last thing.
This is gonna sound ridiculous, but just hold on for a moment; I'm using my phone to Tether an internet connection via USB. This is because my 4G connection gives me the same exact internet speed as I'd get if I had a modem wired up, therefore I chose not to do that as it'd be just another useless monthly bill. I have also been troubleshooting if this is the issue - and it's not. Using a different phone or a different USB cable or even different USB ports did not solve the problem.

EDIT 2: Before writing this entire thing, I attempted to update my GPU drivers several times and the issue happened each time during the download, usually right after I initiated the download and a couple times halfway during the download. That was the last straw and that's when I wrote this. Surprisingly, nothing happened while writing this; until I was done writing it and I tried to update the GPU drivers again.... and it happened instantly. I'm not sure if this is helpful information, but I hope it is. I really need this thing fixed.

EDIT 3: And now, an hour later, I was able to download the GPU driver update. Ofcourse, during the installation, the Ethernet Adapter disabled itself again. This is what I'm talking about, it's so random, it's chaos, it makes no sense to me, it's making my PC completely unusable. Someone, please help me fix this thing.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then copy your data to an external drive. In the worse comes to worst then at least you have a copy of your data.

What EXACTLY happens when the issue occurs? Go through everything step-by-step in as much detail as you can.

The only time your computer would restart automatically is if a BSOD occurs or a Windows Update installs; you'll know about the latter as the computer will prompt you. In all other instances, the computer will shut down, not restart, unless malicious software is installed, in which case anything could be happening.

pd2cwe

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

- Internet connection disappears
- Attempting to troubleshoot it will get stuck in a message saying ''Reset Ethernet Adapter...'', fixing nothing
- Attempting to manually enable/disable the Ethernet Adapter fixes nothing, usually getting me stuck in that blue loading circle thing
- Attempting to Sign Out/Sleep/Shut Down/Restart will go to the blank screen saying ''Restarting..'' (Or ''Signing out..'', etc.) and looping there, never actually doing anything.
- System Restore fails
- Only forcing my PC to shut down with the power button fixes it; temporarily
- Issue seems to happen everytime I initiate a bigger download, other times just randomly

OK, here are two things you should try to get started:

1. Update the driver for all of your network cards (or roll back to the previous driver if the latest one is already installed).
2. Boot into Safe Mode with Command prompt, open cmd and run sfc /scannow. Restart the computer and see if the problem reoccurs.

Regarding that first point, go directly to the manufacturer of your card and don't use third-party tools (Windows Update included).

pd2cwe

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Just did that and the result was; ''Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.''

rustyx

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Let me guess - you have a Realtek USB GbE adapter? The built-in Microsoft driver is broken. Download the Realtek driver from the Realtek website, it will work fine.