Bad gaming experience after Windows 10

Hey all,

it's been one year since I upgraded to Windows 10 and since then I've been having little trouble when playing games. For example, I have lower FPS on CS:GO, but the real problem is my GTA San Andreas. I started playing SAMP (San Andreas Multiplayer) on Windows 7 and my FPS stayed on 100, not lower, not higher. Since I've downloaded Windows 10, I've been playing with 30 to 40 FPS. Tried everything I found on the internet and nothing helped. There are people who play on Win10 and don't have any problems with it. My PC is capable of running it perfectly, as the specs are:

CPU: AMD APU A10-5800K
GPU: msi Radeon R9 270
RAM: 8GB

I can't understand why this is happening and I'm thinking of re-installing my Windows 10. What do you guys think?
15 answers Last reply
More about bad gaming experience windows
  1. Have you disabled game DVR in the xbox app? Are your power settings ok? Temperatures? Ram/CPU usage?
  2. make sure your in Gaming mode in windows 10, also uninstall (using DDU) the drivers and get a fresh copy installed.
  3. The Paladin said:
    make sure your in Gaming mode in windows 10, also uninstall (using DDU) the drivers and get a fresh copy installed.

What gaming mode?
  4. Computers Taste Like Metal said:
    Have you disabled game DVR in the xbox app? Are your power settings ok? Temperatures? Ram/CPU usage?

Everything's just fine. Temperatures stay low/normal when I'm playing SAMP. Gets higher when playing CSGO but it's always been like that.
  5. Something could have gone wrong with the upgrade process. For example, I upgraded a desktop and two laptops to Win 10. The upgrade went fine on my desktop and Dell laptop; however, on my Lenovo laptop not so much. The Lenovo worked fine until I tried to play games. Performance was a bit lower than it was before and the upgrade broke Skyrim on the Lenovo. I had no issues with Skyrim or other games on my desktop and Dell laptop.

Reinstalling the games did not fix the performance problem; though it got Skyrim up and running again. Resetting Windows 10 did the trick, but that meant everything had to be reinstalled again.
  6. IvakaS said:
    The Paladin said:
    make sure your in Gaming mode in windows 10, also uninstall (using DDU) the drivers and get a fresh copy installed.

What gaming mode?

windows 10 has a gaming more, yeah I know.... goto all settings,gaming, game mode, enable it.
  7. jaguarskx said:
    Something could have gone wrong with the upgrade process. For example, I upgraded a desktop and two laptops to Win 10. The upgrade went fine on my desktop and Dell laptop; however, on my Lenovo laptop not so much. The Lenovo worked fine until I tried to play games. Performance was a bit lower than it was before and the upgrade broke Skyrim on the Lenovo. I had no issues with Skyrim or other games on my desktop and Dell laptop.

Reinstalling the games did not fix the performance problem; though it got Skyrim up and running again. Resetting Windows 10 did the trick, but that meant everything had to be reinstalled again.

I see, so you also think I should go for resetting/re-installing my Windows?
    Also, when I reinstall it, what drivers will I need to install? It says that it's going to delete @BIOS.
  8. It is worth a try if everything else you tried does not work. When I reset the Lenovo laptop I decided to do a complete reinstall; meaning I did not choose the option to keep my files. That basically meant whatever files on the C: drive I wanted to keep (like saved games) were copied over to a folder in the D: drive.
  9. jaguarskx said:
    It is worth a try if everything else you tried does not work. When I reset the Lenovo laptop I decided to do a complete reinstall; meaning I did not choose the option to keep my files. That basically meant whatever files on the C: drive I wanted to keep (like saved games) were copied over to a folder in the D: drive.

Wait are you telling me that complete reset means only drive C: is wiped out and whatever is on D: stays there?
  10. Yep. Using the "Reset this PC" in the Recovery section of Update & Security will only affect the C: drive. No data one other drives will be deleted.

However, if you installed any programs or games on the D: drive, then you still need to reinstall them because when programs are installed in Windows changes are made to the Windows Registry which basically lets Windows know such programs are installed and will link up the programs (games) to dynamic library files (like DirectX) which will allow the programs to run.
  11. jaguarskx said:
    Yep. Using the "Reset this PC" in the Recovery section of Update & Security will only affect the C: drive. No data one other drives will be deleted.

However, if you installed any programs or games on the D: drive, then you still need to reinstall them because when programs are installed in Windows changes are made to the Windows Registry which basically lets Windows know such programs are installed and will link up the programs (games) to dynamic library files (like DirectX) which will allow the programs to run.

Man, that is such good news! I thought Windows 10 removes data in all drives when resetting it. So the important thing I'll have to re-install after resetting is a couple of drivers, hopefully video ones. I guess the others like my mobo drivers (sound, network, etc.) will download and install on their own?
  12. jaguarskx said:
    Yep. Using the "Reset this PC" in the Recovery section of Update & Security will only affect the C: drive. No data one other drives will be deleted.

Anyways, I decided to refresh it with the option "Just remove my files". Operation began and somewhere on 30% I got a screen "There was a problem refreshing your PC, no changes were made." And I was unable to re-install my windows....
  13. Alright then, it seems to need to do a full re-install of Windows 10 if the recovery option does not work. Click the following link that will bring to to Microsoft's site that will allow you to download Windows 10 using their media creation tool. Use the tool to either create a bootable USB to install Windows, or to download the ISO image and burn it to a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You do not need to worry about a product key because since you already have Windows 10 installed, the key is embedded in the BIOS.
  14. jaguarskx said:
    Alright then, it seems to need to do a full re-install of Windows 10 if the recovery option does not work. Click the following link that will bring to to Microsoft's site that will allow you to download Windows 10 using their media creation tool. Use the tool to either create a bootable USB to install Windows, or to download the ISO image and burn it to a DVD.

You do not need to worry about a product key because since you already have Windows 10 installed, the key is embedded in the BIOS.

Well, if that's what it takes to simply reset my PC, I'll go for it :D I hope it'll be worth it in the end. Found an old disk, tried it it works. Gonna burn Windows 10 on it, enter my BIOS (entering my BIOS is weird tho, my USB keyboard doesn't work until Windows is loaded and I have to eject my Power supply from the contact and connect it again, because then, when booting, it sends me to my BIOS :D), make my PC boot from disk and begin the procedure. Thank you very, very much for your help!
  15. jaguarskx said:
    Alright then, it seems to need to do a full re-install of Windows 10 if the recovery option does not work. Click the following link that will bring to to Microsoft's site that will allow you to download Windows 10 using their media creation tool. Use the tool to either create a bootable USB to install Windows, or to download the ISO image and burn it to a DVD.

Won't let me burn it. I tried 2 disks but they both were old, maybe that's the reason why. This is what happens: http://imgur.com/a/jxDVo
    Translation in the description of each picture.

I'm going to buy a couple of new disks tomorrow and see if it works. These 2 which I tried were read really slowly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming MSI-Microstar Video Games AMD FPS windows 10 Radeon