Problem with 0.0 mb partition when booting from USB

Mobeen_1

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Hello, I was installing a Creator Update or something. It was installing smoothly until it restarted and said attempting to recover installation.
I am now installing Windows 10 again from bootable usb however, it says that you have 0.0mb and cannot install windows 10 when I boot from usb. I only have two partitions one is my usb and one is with 0.0mb space. What to do and somebody also tell me how to quickly boot using external hard drive. Thanks

Device: Lenovo Yoga 510

Solution
The HDD may have failed.. see if you can connect it outside the HDD bay so you can hold the HDD in your hand and close to your ear while you power it only (don't connect the data cable), and see if you can hear it spinning up, hear the read/write head searching the platter for data, etc...

a) If the HDD makes no noise at all, it has most likely failed and it's not spinning.
b) If you hear making noise, describe it... Normal noise without a data connection is: the motor spins the platter up, the read & write head clicks searching for data for a few seconds and stops, and all you hear after that is the motor spinning.

If you hear the HDD spin up, you will have to try to format it or at least run a diagnostic application.. this can...
You can't boot from an external USB hard drive.. unless you have a Live CD with a Linux OS or Windows recovery enviroment installed on it, or otherwise installed on a USB flash drive, or burned on a CD/DVD.

The suggestion here would be to format the HDD from the Windows installer ("Delete" the 0.0 mb partition, and next "create" and next "format" it)... and if it's impossible from the Windows Installer, download and burn the Hiren's boot CD/USB (on CD/DVD/USB) to have a Windows Explorer or Disk Manager view of the HDD to format it or detect the cause.

A Linux Distro (any) burned on a CD/DVD/USB also includes the partition manager GParted and you can use it to format the HDD in NTFS file system.

Another option if you have a Floppy drive is (should also work from a USB flash drive or burned to CD):

You can make a Windows boot disc found here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
When you get to the command prompt, type format c: and say yes.

Mobeen_1

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

I am extremely sorry but I could not understand you. First of all my laptop windows is corrupted and it doesent have a cd drive. So please can you tell me a solution and explaining it quite easily. I cant delete that partition because it says it has storage of 0.0 mb and free space 0.0 mb.!

You'll need to create a Bootable USB flash drive containing the Hiren's Boot CD/DVD or a Linux distro... either contains a Partition manager from which you can repair the HDD... try to format it and if you can't try fixing the MBR followed by a format and creation of a partition (or partitions)... where you can install Windows 10.

Mobeen_1

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks alot I would try this!!!!

The HDD may have failed.. see if you can connect it outside the HDD bay so you can hold the HDD in your hand and close to your ear while you power it only (don't connect the data cable), and see if you can hear it spinning up, hear the read/write head searching the platter for data, etc...

a) If the HDD makes no noise at all, it has most likely failed and it's not spinning.
b) If you hear making noise, describe it... Normal noise without a data connection is: the motor spins the platter up, the read & write head clicks searching for data for a few seconds and stops, and all you hear after that is the motor spinning.

If you hear the HDD spin up, you will have to try to format it or at least run a diagnostic application.. this can be done from another computer of from a Bootable Hiren's Boot CD/USB

You can download the Hiren's Boot CD/USB .iso file and either burn it to CD or install on a USB flash drive with the tool you can download from the Hiren's Boot CD/USB download website.

https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

Solution