Managing multiple Antiviruses on-off for technical purposes

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Hi,

So I am planning on trying something technically complex and would like to know if anyone believes it might work.

Basically, I plan on keeping Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 active, but when I want to test various software, I plan on exiting out of KIS 2017, loading up Comodo Internet Security, using the sandbox feature it has, then when I'm done-I would exit out of CIS completely and restart my KIS 2017.

I know having multiple active antivirus is bad, but alternating in between them and only having KIS 2017 start by default shouldn't be an issue right?

Thanks,

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
i dont know how KIS works, i would guess it has a 'stop for x minutes/turn off' option in the tray icon? you can use this feature in other anti-virus programs to halt them for however long you wish and resume them when youre done.

secondly, installing your second antivirus needs a little 'fiddle' as you dont want it loading up with windows. when you first install your second program, do NOT restart your computer.
First goto run
msconfig
startup box .... de-select the new antivirus.
now the new antivirus wont load at start up you can now restart computer.
depending on what kind of hooks your new antivirus uses, the first time you 'switch' between them, run msconfig to ensure it hasnt re-enabled startup with windows. if its still clear, youre set!
remember to disable your new antivirus in taskmanager before resuming KIS.

if it has put itself back onto loading with windows you will need to dive into the registry and remove the strings. Dont think many antivirus programs come with settings to NOT load at startup, but if that option exists, chose it over registry diving.

Lets start with this solution first, and come back if you need to start fiddling with registry later.

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I used comodo in the past. Let's just say, default deny is very good but very annoying.

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Will this achieve the same results as what Soggy is suggesting? just curious. It does sound far simpler.

Also, I only have access to 1 pc running Windows 10. I don't have many paths to choose from.

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Hmm, I disabled from startup in ccleaner, but it still started up for some reason until I disabled from start-up in msconfig.