ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q DisplayCable signal lose

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

I need some help with my monitor that we bought few weeks ago. It has some strange problems that I can't fix or at least can't see if it has a fault or if it was made to be like this.

Before I bought this ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27 monitor, I had ASUS GTX 780 TI Graphics card. I bought the monitor, installed it and started to play games with it. I knew that moving from a 1080P monitor to a 1440P will mean that GTX 780 TI will no longer fill my games to be run at high or very high settings. I went and bought the ASUS GTX 1080 TI which is doing great.

My problem is I think with the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27. When I had it on the Asus GTX 780 TI, the monitor started to stuttering or like going on and of randomly. I am on DisplayPort cable because I want to get the 165Hz refresh rate,

I updated the bios on my asus mother board which is the Sabertooth x99. I thought it would fix the problem. It did not.

I was searching internet for for a week and could not find a clear answer to my problem. Some people think they fixed this problem by doing driver updates etc.

With me, it has nothing to do with drivers because the signal drops even while the computer starts.

For example I remove the hard disk, I restart the PC and click the delete button. The screen will go dark and I see nothing. I am sure the computer is already in bios but I wont see it because the signal drops during the boot. Sometimes it will work and I can go to bios but then once I remove the Display post cable from card or monitor and put it back in, the signal is gone and monitor goes black. With DVI, cable in other monitors, I could remove the cable as many times as I want and the signal would be there.

I tried with HDMI cable and it works 100%. No matter how often I remove it, the signal comes back again via hdni cable.

My question is is this a fault it came with or was this fault created?

I see many people online having no signal with gtx 1080 ti via display port cable but my problem with stuttering and signal lose happened also with gtx 780 ti.

Any idea? I can still return the monitor to amazon I got it from and get it replaced.

Any help?

Thanks

Solution
I am on desktop now and removed the DP cable put it back in and signal is there. On desktop it doesn't drop, it only drops while booting or for example installing windows.

The best fix so far would be to have both cables in monitor and graphics card. Install windows with hdmi, once you are on desktop, installed nvidia drivers and then go to set up multiple displays and make DP cable as prime monitor. Hopefully this helps others.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Thank you for your fast reply.

Yes, I did use the cable that came with the monitor and I also bought another cable from Amazon. It's Lindy Display port cable that is gold plated. The problem is still there.

I am confused why the monitor would lose the signal when I unplug the cable from card or monitor while being in bios.

This made me believe and actually is a fact that it has nothing to do with drivers or anything with any windows because I am not using a hard disk at all.

Thanks

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

After watching that video, that's exactly what happens to me and also while booting up the screen keeps going on and off again and again.

I bought this other Lindy cable which had very good reviews.

Is it possible that I am so lucky that i have 2 damaged cable and have to buy another one?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No I highly doubt two display port cables could be faulty. I also have the PG279Q mine came with an amphenol cable which is a quality cable and so is the lindy one you bought, so I would say its highly unlikely two good display port cables could be faulty. I would try hooking the monitor up to another computer if you have access to one with display port to rule out some kind of issue with your pc. If it still does it then I don't really know whats causing it, it could be an internal issue with the monitor itself.

Turn off overclocking i the monitors menu if its on and make sure windows it set to the correct resolution and refresh rate 2560x1440 144hz if you can manage it through the flickering, if you haven't already.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I don't have another computer to test it. When I had the GTX 780 ti, the screen did go on and off many times then it stopped and worked okay. I thought it could be that the monitor is trying to find the best refresh rate but then I sold my Gtx 780 ti and bought the 1080 ti.

When I started using gtx 1080 ti, I formatted my pc or tried to but it would not allow me because it wont display anything. I used HDMI cable to install the whole OS then turned off the pc and inserted the DP cable and it went to desktop without any problem. Now it works fine but I feel like I have a defective monitor. Why would it lose signal when I am in bios and when I remove the cable.? With HDMI it does not.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Can you please try it with yours?

Just go bios and remove the DP cable from monitor or graphics card and put it back in. If the signal comes to yours then it must be a problem with my monitor. If yours too loses signal then it means it's a fault in the monitor.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well what do you know mine does the exact same thing. I went into the bios removed the display port cable for a few seconds, plugged it back in and the display did not come back, it just went black then eventually shut off. I also tried it with hdmi and did come back when I plugged it back in. No idea why it does that.

If its working fine now I would not return it, especially if you were lucky enough to not get one with a crap ton of backlight bleed like mine has. You would be taking a risk returning it, the PG279Q and all the other 1440p ips monitors that use the same panel are plagued with backlight bleed issues.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I did try it by turning off overclocking via monitor but the problem is still there.

If you can test this it would really help me. If you can go to motherboard bios and just remove the dp cable and put it back in. I want to know if the signal goes away with you as well just like with me.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Wow, so that means you too have the same issue. It must be a fault in the monitor itself. It's strange how we both found out to have the same problem.

I also tried this and it did not work at all. Went to bios with displayport cable, then I removed the display port cable and put in the HDMI and I did not have a signal even with HDMI. I also went to bios with hdmi and then placed the display port cable in and changed the input from hdmi to display port via monitor control and I did not have a signal either.

Well, we both or maybe all of us are having a defective monitor. I'm really sad because I paid a lot for this.

If in the future you have problems, always install whole windows with hdmi then once you're on desktop you can then use the display port.

Does your monitor go on and off many times while booting with display port cable? With me it does go many times on and off but with hdmi it never does that.

My feeling tells me that while booting, the system tried to go in 144hz or 165hz refresh rate but the logos can't go above 60hz and that is why this lose signal is happening.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No my monitor does not turn off and on while booting with any cable, I have never had any issues with my monitor flickering on and of. If it does it every time you boot their may indeed be an issue with your monitor. What motherboard do you have? If it has a display port on the mobo's IO try that, it will use integrated graphics in the cpu if your cpu has it. Restart and see if its still flickering on boot.

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

No, it doesn't have a display port. It's the Asus Sabertooth x99 and my cpu is i7 5930k.

What graphics card do you have?

DardaniaLion

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
I am on desktop now and removed the DP cable put it back in and signal is there. On desktop it doesn't drop, it only drops while booting or for example installing windows.

The best fix so far would be to have both cables in monitor and graphics card. Install windows with hdmi, once you are on desktop, installed nvidia drivers and then go to set up multiple displays and make DP cable as prime monitor. Hopefully this helps others.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS