x299 SLI gtx 1080 performance problems

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017
I recently upgraded my i7 7700k to try out the X299 Aorus 3 gaming board, with the Intel 7800x.

Kept same GTX 1080 in SLI.

SLI Performance went down big time in games, especially testing Tomb Raider and Battlefield 1. They don't seem to be scaling well at all, I know the 7700k is a little better FPS wise sometimes, but the 7800x shouldn't be that far behind.

in 1440p gaming, I was getting consistent 60+ FPS on ultra, now it is dipping in the 40's even if I lower the settings.

I read a few people had similar issues with even a 7900x, so I think it's an NVidia driver or x299 issue.

Anyone encounter this or have some insight?

Almost going back to the 7700k if the performance is this much lower, drivers or not!

Read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/-intel-skylake-x-overclocking-thermal-issues,5117.html
It might give a clue as to what might be happening here.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017
That's mostly about overclocking and the CPU temps, do you mean that it shows the motherboards just aren't really ready and full of issues for the GPU SLI problem?

The part that caught my eye was that the -x chips had cooling issues that lead to throttling. It said that "Skylake-X at its stock settings can barely be cooled during normal operation. " Since an SLI setup can hardly be considered "normal", It made me suspicious that there might be some throttling due to heat in your system, whether you are overclocking or not. The heat issues with motherboards' VRMs can't be helping the situation.

blockhead78

Distinguished
have you tried the latest bios revision for that mobo?

when moving to a brand new platform, it's best to keep as up to date as possible with the bios, as there are always teething problems.

any chipset issues could impact CPU performance, which in turn could degrade gaming performance.

Might not solve it, but worth a try.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017
Yeah everything is updated, went over various bios and windows settings too. Definitely something wonky with x299 and sli, because hardware tested and works fine otherwise.

Might be a good time to get a 1080ti and ditch the sli 1080s, but I'd rather not, ha.

I wonder how many people have bought into x299 and use sli....is it like 50 people? 5000? Hard to know numbers

onmybikedrunk

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
+1

I'm having the same issue. At first (and after troubleshooting with EVGA) I thought my board was bad... But now I think that this is a Nvidia Geforce or Intel Chipset driver issue. It really ticks me off too. 44 pcie lanes and no one thought to check SLI??! What the heck man...

Anyway, I've been through 2 x299 motherboards and it's all the same. I tried my cards in a friend's x99 rig and they worked fine in SLI - as expected. Not the cards. I returned my first Asus X299 Deluxe because I thought it was hardware. Come to find out that now with my second - a Gigabyte Gaming 7 - that it has the same issue.

It does make me nervous because the SLI community isn't what it once was... There just aren't a whole lot of us out there to complain! Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I know! Sometimes it feels like it's really like 10 people in the world who have an x299 and sli, you would think there's more activity. I guess most people are on their iPads and PS4, ha.

The pc enthusiast community is a lot smaller than I thought.

Any idea how many 7900x or even 7700k CPUs intel sells?

onmybikedrunk

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
So everywhere I've posted about this issue I'm giving a quick update:

I've gotten through to second tier support at Nividia. They claim that this is a known bug and they are working with motherboard manufacturers to work out the issue. They also said they have no ETA for a fix.

At least they know it's a problem and they're working on it. Part of being an early-adopter I guess!! I've been waiting a long time for this platform cuz I had a free "CPU Upgrade" from Microcenter and a failing X99 motherboard. I didn't want to buy a new MB until the new CPU skus came out and now that after waiting all this time I can't use one of my $700 graphics cards... First world problems...sigh.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017
Well, I found a solution. Sold my 2 sli GTX 1080 founders edition, and got a single 1080 ti asus strix oc.

Blown away in gaming performance vs sli, tomb raider and bf1 at 1440p and ultra everything, 100+ fps, etc.

Single card is where it's at. Too many sli problems.

onmybikedrunk

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Yeah I've never had an SLI issue until now. I do 100hz 3440x1440 gaming so I have two 1080 Ti's in SLI (EVGA FTW) with the idea that when Asus brings 4K 144hz to market I'd be ready. The refresh rate is the only reason I've stayed at 1440p (21:9 mind you, but still 1440p). Oh well, I'll wait a month and if it doesn't get fixed I'll return all the X299 stuff I bought.

onmybikedrunk

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Just wanted to not that Asus released a BIOS update yesterday that claims to address some of these issues in the release notes. While SLI is slightly improved on my machine, GPU usage still hovers at around 50% per card resulting in less than ideal framerates. At 3440x1440p 100hz I'm only getting around 60fps in BF1 with everything on Ultra with SLI on and power management set to max performance. Seems now that this is a Nvidia driver problem.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Thank you for the note, I am sure as time goes on they will address all of the issues. For now, I am enjoying my single 1080 TI more than SLI!

Ryan_360

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Not alone, thank God! Ive been wondering what in the world has been going on with my setup. I just installed the Aourus gaming 9 with a 7900x and the performance is really bad. 1080s in SLI also. I just switched from my 5960x and asus x99 deluxe (which had great performance) and im pretty let down, but like you said early adopter problems haha. I did a fresh win 10 install last night and it improved slightly, but the worst problem is the witcher 3 in SLI flashes horribly in 4k in fullscreen, but borderless window the flashing stops. in 3440x1440 however there is no flashing in fullscreen, which i find interesting. Ive got a g-sync 3440x1440 100hz monitor that is my primary and g-sync also seems a little funky in metro LL redux and only getting around 55fps average in the benchmark...

I did notice that Nvidia came out with a beta driver for these cards a few days ago, anyone tried using them yet?

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I did download them, but have since switch to a single 1080ti asus strix.

Very happy with 1440p performance with a single card, and glad not to have to deal with sli issues.

Gaming performance is great on 7800x, no other issues present and honestly I don't notice any real useful difference vs my last 7700k that one would ever notice without benchmarks.

Ryan_360

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Interesting, ive been thinking of switching up and going back to a single card, but ive been sli/crossfire for so long its hard to go back to a single card, and my case would feel so empty haha. I just built a system about a month ago for my brother thats a 7700k @ 5Ghz and a 1080ti and the performance is phenomenal. I however, run VM's off this machine hence the need for more cores and 64gb of ram. Ive got my 7900x sitting at a nice 4.8 Ghz under a custom loop, but just really let down by how it handles SLI with all those extra pcie lanes avaliable. I might just go and sell my 1080s and buy the Ti and SLI in the future again once the issue is fixed. I dont think ill ever get back to the 3 980ti tri sli days.

I saw you said that your still able to get near 100fps in most of your games with the 1080ti and 7800x. Are you running stock clocks on the cpu? Funnily enough i still really enjoy modding Skyrim SE alot which is single core dependent, so clocks still matter quite a bit for it to run decently.

rondocap

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Yeah running 7800x Stock for now.

Bf1 I can easily run to 140+fps if at 1440 if I leave it at 100% scaled resolution and most settings ultra pretty much. At 200% I get around 60Fps with some dips below

Usually I'm happy around 80-100 so I leave the settings ultra and up the resolution scaling a bit

rbrace16

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Don’t no if you fixed this problem. I had the same problem so I completely formatted my hard drive and did a fresh install and this fixed the SLI Performance problem for me
My rig
X299 asus prime deluxe
2x Titan xp
Also running bios 802

Ryan_360

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

YEAH I fixed it the same way when I got my 3 new Seagate 10Tb drives setup in raid 5 haha. ended up getting 2 1080Ti's and everything works perfect now. I got my 7900x running solid @4.7Ghz