Best photo-editing monitor with current setup

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hello all!
About four years ago, I built a desktop for gaming and photo-editing, and bought a decent 27" 1080p Asus monitor to go with it. Three years ago, I replaced my GTX 670 with a 690, and my use has gradually shifted to 100% photo-editing. For this reason, I'd like to purchase a new higher-def (1440p or higher) monitor with enhanced color accuracy, as my current Asus monitor is frequently skewed, even after recalibration. My question is: which high-def, color-accurate, >27" monitor would you all recommend for photo-editing that could be sufficiently run by a GTX 690? I'm aware it's now far from the most powerful or effective graphics card offering, but I doubt I'll be replacing it anytime soon. Thanks in advance!
Danny

Solution

Just go for a good brand ips screen. Dell has some models. So does LG. But that 10 bit is a good investment. If u plan to get a workstation gpu, it will be useful. And for photoshop, a 200 buck...

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Thank you for your response. I have heard that a). 10-bit monitors require a workstation graphics card (as opposed to GeForce, like the 690) to function properly, and b). if there are applications being used on the monitor that don't support 10-bit then the colors can look off. Can you speak to this at all?
Danny

Gaming gpu support only 8 bit. Only workstation gpu have 10 bit support. This is in the case of opengl which photoshop uses. But gtx cards have 10bit for direct x. But photoshop doesn't use it. U can enable dithering to prevent banding but I would suggest a cheap firepro gpu if it's only photography.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I see. So unless I'm using a workstation GPU, there's no benefit whatsoever (in terms of photo editing) gained from upgrading to a 10-bit panel? If so, what's your recommendation for a high-quality, accurate 8-bit panel? Thanks again!

Just go for a good brand ips screen. Dell has some models. So does LG. But that 10 bit is a good investment. If u plan to get a workstation gpu, it will be useful. And for photoshop, a 200 buck Radeon pro is enough.

Solution