Gigabyte GA AB350M + Ryzen Build

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Hi, i just build this PC (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sy8LTH) and i can't get any image on POST. I dont get any sound either since my mobo doesn't have a system speaker.
Im using a HDMI cable from from the video card.

Tried everything i read on internet but i still cant figure the problem.

PSU starts
All fans run (CPU and SYS)
Led stripe on the mobo it's on
cpu cooler led's works
gpu fan works for around 30 secs and stop.

Im waiting for a system speaker to arrive to see if i can get any clue on POST

Do i need to update my BIOS? And if, how can i do it without image on the screen?

Thank you in advance!

skibo1219

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
first thing when getting a new board is to check for BIOS updates. Also did you check if that memory is on the boards QVL list?

Go into the BIOS and check settings, if nothing comes of that then try to Load Default settings (save and exit).

You shouldn't need to update the BIOS...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66b7vu/to_all_ryzen_5_owners_did_you_have_to_flash_bios/

The GPU shutting down after 30 seconds tells me it may not receive or detect a video signal.. so better use the monitor on onboard video. GPU HDMI video may need drivers... some people say you don't but I see alot sarch results on first boot issues when using HDMI from a GPU. So better try using the onboard video either VGA or DVI, at least till you can install the GPU HDMI drivers. If that doesn't solve it, reset the BIOS to clear out possible wrong or corrupted settings.

jpe1701

Honorable
Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics. Try clearing CMOS. Then try with each individual sticks of RAM. Try to eliminate everything but RAM, GPU, and PSU. Outside of that it is probably a motherboard problem.

The motherboard has onboard graphics.. nobody said CPU integrated graphics or APU.

Onboard Video Chipset
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145002&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

jpe1701

Honorable

The motherboard only has onboard graphics with an apu installed and the op has a ryzen 5 CPU. No need for hostility, I'm just stating fact.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I didn´t use the on board video because i read that Ryzen doesn´t have video so i won´t get any signal from the on board video. Also read that the GTX 1060 SC stopping is because goes idle..

I Just checked the QVL list and the my memory is not on the list but there are a lot of builds over internet over youtube who used this board with this memory (or 3200 MHZ), and since PcPartpicker didn´t show any compatibility issue I just went with the purchase.

But my main question is, How do i go into the Bios and check settings if i can´t get any image ?

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Tried that (clearing CMOS - also removed the batery for a min) , same result. Also tried with just the PSU, CPU, then add RAM - GPU. still the same..

As far as I know Ryzen for PC are CPUs not APUs... the APU series is planed to come out in the second half of 2017. And since the Ryzen CPUs are selling since March, most motherboards for CPU that have been sold, include the onboard video chipset to use without a PCIe card (GPU) though some don't have it... but the and this Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 model does have it according to the Newegg specifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3350689/ryzen-run-gpu.html

jpe1701

Honorable

Where in the specs does it say that? I can't seem to find it.I have never heard that some ryzen boards support onboard graphics with a ryzen 5 or 7.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I can´t find it either. I´m still under the same impression, that Ryzen does not support video so i can´t use the mobo onboard video. (Also tried and no image at all over VGA or HDMI)

jpe1701

Honorable
Do you have any way of trying a different GPU? Maybe a friends? The RAM is a popular pick so if that was the problem there would be more post's about that motherboard not being compatible. So if you eliminate the GPU it has to be the motherboard.

The link was broken... in any case, I understood what seemed logical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3350689/ryzen-run-gpu.html

But now that I've read different comments on that, I'm not so sure anymore. One comment in the Toms thread seemed so assured that the B350 chipset supports onboard video with a Ryzen CPU, and many other people in the web are asking for confirmation on it... so I'm not the only one confused with the poorly detailed information displayed on Newegg and Gigabyte, and I guess I as well as many others tought the Ryzen systems would follow the same logic as FM2+ socket systems where APUs not CPUs were first to be reased to run on motherboards with APU dependant video support... and being that Ryzen CPUs don't include a graphics chip, logic dictates the motherboard should include onboard video support because not everyone uses a PCIe Graphics Card... specially not from first system boot. And so happens that the Ryzen APUs will be reased at least half a year later than the CPUs and motherboards with CPU or GPU dependant graphics only... probably that much later than expected by motherboard manufacturers.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Im trying to ee if i can get someone help but nobody that i know has a ryzen system.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I just got the system speaker that i was waiting for and pluged in.

After check all the components to make sure that all of them were tight and secure i powered on and got 1 short beep.

According to this (https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816) Do i have a normal system now??.

Still have to move the pc to the monitor, i was working on a table.

It appears you have.. normal is one short beep when the BIOS finishes posting, confirming that all is good. Some motherboards sound one short beep before and one after the BIOS post.

So apparently your system is all normal and it only needs to be properly connected. And if the issue persists, do a propper BIOS reset... the 1 minute reset probably didn't do much as it takes at least 5 minutes but 10 are better.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

After thet beep i power off and moved closer to the monitor. Never got the beep again. Not sure if there is something that might be loose or what can it be.

Yeah, im sure i have the right HDMI port.

a) As I said before, you may need to do a propper BIOS reset allowing more than 1 minute as that is not enough to guarantee a propper reset... it takes at least 5 minutes but 10 are better.

b) The HDMI video interface may need drivers.. online searches for HDMI issues point to the need to install HDMI drivers, other causes are bad HDMI cable and the need to enable HDMI in the BIOS. And to install HDMI drivers you'll need to have display so use DVI or VGA untill you take care of these suggestions. The HDMI drivers should be included in the motherboard disk.

1) Start with the BIOS reset as the absence of BIOS beeps may indicate corrupted settings.
2) Check/replace the video cable if you have doubts on it's condition, ignore this if you don't.
3) Try using the GPU in DVI or VGA
4) If you get display from DVi or VGA, try installing the HDMI drivers from the Windows installation or install them later from Windows.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I Just took the batery out for around 30 mins.

I didn't get any beep either this time. Im 100% sure the HDMI cable is working because is the same one that i use on my PS4.
I will have to get a DVI-d cable since i dont have any and the video card doesn't have a vga port. I'll get on this and i'll report back.

Thanks for your help

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Ok, i have new info and I would like to ask if anyone can confirm and help me with this

A friend told me that my MOBO is compatible with the Ryzen 1600x from Bios version F4 and i currently have F2 from factory. Could that be right? (source)

And if the answer is yes, is any way that i can update my bios without the CPU? (and without image or BIOS access)

Since is not suported.....

That's what the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) CPU support chart says.. my only doubt is how do you know your motherboard has BIOS F2?. If you're sure of that, you need to install update F4 for the CPU to work... the problem is the blank display... if you can find the Updating key sequence you could install the F4 update.. but the usual way is with a compatible and supported CPU.

Maybe this can help update it.
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=27188&seqNum=7

jpe1701

Honorable
Do you have a local computer shop? Usually they will update the BIOS for you for a small fee. Other than replacing the BIOS chip, that's really the only way without a compatible CPU.

slarco

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I got it here on the forums (second post here)

Also contacted Gigabytes support and I'm waiting on their confirmation about this info.