Connecting ASUS Laptop to LED TV issue

suf619

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I recently purchased an ASUS X556RK laptop. When I connected the laptop to my LG 4k capable TV I noticed what I can best describe as very minor stuttering with the overall display.

So when typing text, watching youtube videos, or even just moving the mouse, the image on the screen isn't smooth. I tried living with it at first but it's starting to get to me. It's most noticeable when I'm watching a film for instance and text is fading in/out, camera is panning across a room, water ripples etc.

I've tried to tinker with settings but no dice.

Model: ASUS x556URK
Processor: Intel Core i7 7500U CPU @ 2.7 GHz
12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Resolution: 4096 x 2160
Refresh rate: 30phz

I've looked around these forums and others but haven't been able to find anyone with the same issue.

I had a Sony VAIO that was connected to the same TV before with no issue.
Didn't notice the issue either when the ASUS was connected to an old full HD LCD TV.

Would appreciate any help.

Solution
First of all, I just checked out the laptop on ASUS' website and it doesn't look like it even support 4k, but it also says it has a different GPU than you said yours had so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have a different model. From here, I'd like to know how you're connecting it to the TV. It doesn't specify what kind of HDMI port is in the laptop but if you are using HDMI and it's not an HDMI 2.0 port (which I doubt it is), it might not even support a 4k resolution. If you're using any of the other ports, I doubt it could even work in 4k. In conclusion, it sounds like a connection problem as not many cables and ports can actually support a 4k resolution at 30Hz. If I were you, I would do some research on...

eWOOD29

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
First of all, I just checked out the laptop on ASUS' website and it doesn't look like it even support 4k, but it also says it has a different GPU than you said yours had so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have a different model. From here, I'd like to know how you're connecting it to the TV. It doesn't specify what kind of HDMI port is in the laptop but if you are using HDMI and it's not an HDMI 2.0 port (which I doubt it is), it might not even support a 4k resolution. If you're using any of the other ports, I doubt it could even work in 4k. In conclusion, it sounds like a connection problem as not many cables and ports can actually support a 4k resolution at 30Hz. If I were you, I would do some research on video display ports and their cables to see if you can resolve the issue.

Solution