Can you install windows from usb without wiping drive?

wotwotwotwot

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So my friend (legitimately my friend, not me) upgraded his new PC today, and now his boot drive won't start cause he hasn't clean installed. Can he re-install windows 10 from the usb WITHOUT wiping the drive? I remember i installed from USB, but couldn't remember if i had to wipe or if i could just install it to a new partition.

Thanks.

Solution
Yes he can, and should do a fresh install. During installation you are prompted for which drive/partition you want to install to? Select drive options, delete all partitions, install to the remaining unused space, windows will ask if it can create partitions, select yes, finish up installation and don;t forget the chipset drivers before moving forward with any other drivers of updates. Windows 10 will probably find everything else you need.

t53186

Distinguished
Yes he can, and should do a fresh install. During installation you are prompted for which drive/partition you want to install to? Select drive options, delete all partitions, install to the remaining unused space, windows will ask if it can create partitions, select yes, finish up installation and don;t forget the chipset drivers before moving forward with any other drivers of updates. Windows 10 will probably find everything else you need.

Solution
T53186: you just told him how to wipe his drive for a clean install, I do believe he said;

Can he re-install windows 10 from the usb WITHOUTwiping the drive?

the answer is no, I strongly suggest connecting this drive to another computer going to c:\users\(usernamehere)\ and go grab documents, pictures etc. of things he needs to keep before you wipe the drive

t53186

Distinguished

I read the message differently but it makes sense now after re-reading

Or create additional partitions to install to short term for getting your data, but a clean install is in order after you get the data needed off the drive.

I agree, the answer is "NO."

TRENDING THREADS