Playing in 1080p on 1440p monitor

Nov 25, 2016
1. I am interested is it possible to play game in 1080p on 1440p i know there is problem that 1 pixel will be 1.7 pixel and image will be blurry, but something just come on my mind and i don't how to do it and is it even possible.I want to play game in 1080p on 1440p with black frame around game so it will match pixel 1:1 and image will be same as on native monitor. I know i can play it in window mod but i want to know is it possible to run it with black lines like in movies.
2. Also i have 1 more question because 720p have 2:1 in pixels on 1440p monitor, will it looks better to play on 720p or on 1080p resolution in full screen.
3. In 1 post someone said that how bad game will look in 1080p on 1440p monitor depends on how good monitor is, he said for some good monitor it can be nearly close native 1080p, so i want to know is it true or not.
Thanks a lot.

Solution
Yes the text would be small but it also depends on how good your eyesight is. During gaming you won't notice anything. It will be difficult in the beginning but eventually your eyes should get used to the higher resolution. Also you won't be able to find a good 27" 1440p monitor with a good interpolation method under 300€. You have to spent much more.

Finally keep in mind that the latest windows update will introduce some new display scaling settings and options that should fix the small text issue in high resolution screens. It may come close to the text you see on a smartphone screen where you can read the text without issues despite the high resolution on the small screen of a smartphone.
1)I have a 1440p but I don't game a lot. That said I have played some games that only maxed at 1080p and I haven't noticed anything abnormal. Text was a little blurry though. You can make your GPU or your monitor, via their settings, to display a 1:1 image but the image will be a lot smaller with black bars all over the place.

2)It largely depends on your monitor and how good it is at interpolating. Some monitors are very good while others do not produce a good image. Keep in mind though that usually only text becomes too blurry. If your monitor can't give you a good 1080p, you can always fall back to 720p. Keep in mind though that the pixels will become bigger there and depending on your monitor you may experience aliasing effects.

3)No 1440p monitor can give you a perfect output, no matter how good it is. But as I've already mentioned, a monitor that has a good interpolation method will provide a good or in a worst case scenario an acceptable image quality. Keep in mind that each monitor has different interpolation capabilities and an expensive or a very good monitor doesn't necessarily mean that it is also good at that part. I'm afraid that you have to search for internet reviews in order to be certain, whether the monitor you want to buy is a good or bad when it is trying to output a lower resolution using interpolation.

I've found this review => https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-p2416d/ , about the Dell monitor and it seems pretty good. In fact it has a section called "Interpolation and upscaling" where it explains how to obtain the best image possible when not using the native 1440p resolution. You should read it and it seems a pretty good choice. Good luck.

Yes the text would be small but it also depends on how good your eyesight is. During gaming you won't notice anything. It will be difficult in the beginning but eventually your eyes should get used to the higher resolution. Also you won't be able to find a good 27" 1440p monitor with a good interpolation method under 300€. You have to spent much more.

Finally keep in mind that the latest windows update will introduce some new display scaling settings and options that should fix the small text issue in high resolution screens. It may come close to the text you see on a smartphone screen where you can read the text without issues despite the high resolution on the small screen of a smartphone.

Solution