Is it safe to remove a hard drive while the laptop is in the middle of the "Scanning and repairing drive (C: )" process?

faker98

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
(Main Question / TL;DR at the end)
Yesterday at around 10 pm I set my laptop to reset but keep its files. It was having major issues loading for the past week, and since I had files I needed to keep and couldn't afford to get rid of, this seemed to be the logical choice. So, I left it running overnight and throughout the rest of today.

That was 25 hours ago, as of this message. It is only at 2% complete, and was only at 1% until today at around 3 pm. At this rate, it won't finish until September 4th, 49 days from now. I am at my wit's end, and I figure I only have one option left; to manually transport my important files off of the laptop and onto my desktop, and then send the laptop to a repair shop. However, I don't know if it is safe to power off my laptop while it is scanning the C: drive and then remove it.

(TL;DR) So my questions are, 1) Is it safe to remove my hard drive after powering off my laptop as it was in the middle of the "Scanning and Repairing Drive (C: )" process, and 2) if it isn't safe, how can I fix this ludicrously slow scanning/repairing process?

Solution
It should be safe to do that, I think that speed is way to slow to be anything classified as normal

One option that might be easier is to try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and use it on hdd in laptop without removing it. Your choice, since other PC won't try to boot off it you can just as easily put it in another drive.

If drive works fine in other PC I would consider running hdtune and check the health of drive out as its likely it is cause of slowdown

Colif

Win 11 Master
It should be safe to do that, I think that speed is way to slow to be anything classified as normal

One option that might be easier is to try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and use it on hdd in laptop without removing it. Your choice, since other PC won't try to boot off it you can just as easily put it in another drive.

If drive works fine in other PC I would consider running hdtune and check the health of drive out as its likely it is cause of slowdown

Solution

faker98

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Alright, I'll try that as soon as I can find a blank CD (I have no idea where they went after I moved). Plus, if that somehow doesn't work out, I can always try using a universal drive adapter to connect my laptop's drive to my desktop. Thanks for the help!