Unable to update windows

lolcol

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Hi,
I have recently got a new SSD on which i successfully installed windows 10 via the media creation tool. Since then, I have had issues updating to newer versions of windows 10 (my PC is running version 14393 whilst the latest is 15063, which includes creators update I believe).
When I try to update like I normally would with the "update and shut down / reboot", the update would get stuck around 70% every time for 12 hours +, so i'd then hard reboot. Looking at the update history, i can see that some of the update were installed. I also tried using the windows 10 Update Assistant but it would get stuck at 99 %. Troubleshooting didn't help me find my problem.
I hope you guys can :)

Thanks for the replies

Solution
See if this helps updates

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

if that doesn't have you tried downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then run the update off the USB by putting it in PC, navigating to it in file explorer and clicking update this PC? Bonus to USB method is if update still fails, you don't need to download it again

If that still fails, clean installing USB is one option...

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps updates

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

if that doesn't have you tried downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then run the update off the USB by putting it in PC, navigating to it in file explorer and clicking update this PC? Bonus to USB method is if update still fails, you don't need to download it again

If that still fails, clean installing USB is one option that ensures its installed. follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution