Cons to leaving a laptop in tablet mode

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I just got my mother in law a Windows 10 laptop (HP Spectre X360... I have the first model of it, she got the new one). She doesn't know computers that well, and I was thinking... Why not just leave it in tablet mode at all times? Less stuff for her to click on that way, but then if she / we ever have to do anything more powerful, we can switch out to normal.

So my question, is there any con to doing that? Seems like a good idea to me...

And just to be clear, I'm talking the software tablet mode where your taskbar is hidden and you don't see the desktop and various other tweaks that Windows Tablet mode makes... I don't mean with the Spectre X360 flipped around to hold like a tablet. It'll still be folded normally like a laptop.

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
Personally Tablet mode is kinda unintuitive for myself ,perhaps thats coz i use a desktop .If you have a laptop with touch screen with a foldable keyboard or attachable once then the tablet mode might suit you.There is no downside to tablet mode.It runs the same as desktop mode with all the features however the learning edge or easiness of use will depend from user to user

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
yeah see most people don't need any of the other stuff... you tap on either chrome or edge and boom, that's the end of your computer usage haha... that's my mother in law... hell that's me when I'm not using my real desktop that i make music on... only difference from an actual tablet is the form factor because you want a real keyboard and touchpad. so i feel like in tablet mode she'd have less stuff to accidentally click on. no need to go to the start menu cause the start menu IS the desktop, no need to have the taskbar, or any of that stuff. seems like a good idea to me...