Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15, Hard Disk Runs at 100%, New Install

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Hello All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 which was shipped with Windows 8.1. When Windows allowed us to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I took advantage of the offer. I am going to loan the PC to an exchange student and I did not need any data on the PC so I reset and removed all of my personal data so I have a fresh copy of Windows 10 without any programs or personal data.

After the installation everything worked fine. I shut it down and booted it back up the next day and the hard disk started to operate at 100% and it rarely goes below 100%. I went to Dell's site and downloaded and installed all of the drivers that they recommended using their auto tool. I also upgraded the BIOS to the latest version. The hard drive is still running at 100%. Obviously, this effects performance and the PC is sluggish.

What should I do to identify what is causing the Hard Drive to operate at 100%? Is the computer downloading updates which is causing the high disk use? CPU and RAM seem to be fine.

Here are some specs:

6Gb of RAM
750GB Hard Disk (Not an SSD)
Intel Core I5-4 200U Processor

So I do not think the laptop is underpowered. More RAM would be nice but not critical.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bill

TRENDING THREADS