Windows 10 laptop file size

ABowlofRiceNoodles

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
I recently got a razer blade stealth 256gb and I have found that it taking up about 34 gb of my ssd. I was wondering if this was normal as most other windows installations I have seen are around 16-20. If this is not normal than what can I do to fix it? (I do not see any windows.old files)

Solution
So it's your Windows folder that is taking up that much space. My Windows folder is taking up 20.25 GB and I have a lot of things installed. Let us see the TreeSize view of the Windows folder itself (whats inside of it) to see which folders are taking up the most space. Below is the sizes of my Windows folder contents.
Win_Size.jpg

What we need to see is which folder is taking up the most space, and then we can try to figure out why. If, for example, its the SoftwareDistribution folder, there are methods to "fix" that. If it's the Temp folder, that can be fixed. If it's the WinSxS folder, that shouldn't be touched. If you do see a folder taking up an usual amount of space, look...
How have you decided that win10 is taking up 34 GB? If you are basing this on having 222 GB of 'free space' left on the ssd after the win10 installation, you have to remember that a nominal '256 GB' does not format out to 256 GB - you might get 238 GB ... so there's 18 GB 'gone' right from the get go. I know ... what a burn! ... false advertising or what!

USAFRet

Titan

"it taking up about 34 gb of my ssd"

You need to be a lot more specific.
What is..."it" ? The Win 10 OS?
There are many, many reasons why you might see "34GB" vs your thought of "16-20GB"

ABowlofRiceNoodles

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

When I look at the size of the windows folder it says it takes up 34 gb. http://imgur.com/i07dekQ

ABowlofRiceNoodles

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

I have taken into account that my formatted 256 gb ssd is only 226 gb

gardenman

Splendid
So it's your Windows folder that is taking up that much space. My Windows folder is taking up 20.25 GB and I have a lot of things installed. Let us see the TreeSize view of the Windows folder itself (whats inside of it) to see which folders are taking up the most space. Below is the sizes of my Windows folder contents.
Win_Size.jpg

What we need to see is which folder is taking up the most space, and then we can try to figure out why. If, for example, its the SoftwareDistribution folder, there are methods to "fix" that. If it's the Temp folder, that can be fixed. If it's the WinSxS folder, that shouldn't be touched. If you do see a folder taking up an usual amount of space, look around in it and see if you can tell what the files are. Provide screen shots. Do not go deleting random files if you don't know what they are.

Solution