Mouse & KB not working in Windows.

an Original Name

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Recently, we got a second hand computer running Windows 7. It was working fine, albeit a bit dusty. We decided to upgrade it to Windows 10, but when we did it through the original computer, we thought it had frozen at the first option after installation. So we did this with Win 10 & 8 over USB, but with the same results. So we installed Windows on the SSD using my computer, and it booted on the other computer, which worked fine, but the USB mouse and keyboard, which work in the BIOS, do not work in Windows. Looking in the BIOS, it seems the computer thinks there is something in that old KB/M port (don't know the name), and we had an adapter for KB, which worked in the OS when plugged into the old port. So... Do we somehow disable that port because it is overriding the USBs? Or something else....
(Repost from peripherals section)

Thanks!

"So we installed Windows on the SSD using my computer" What do you mean by this? You created a USB install, or you installed to the SSD installed on your computer, and moved it to the laptop?

If you installed it while sitting in your computer,then you need to re-install with it in the laptop.

do you know the make and model of the motherboard? getting 2 ps/2 to usb adapters would seem to work.

You should be able to turn on USB support for keyboards in BIOS. That allows you to use your USB keyboard from booting on.
There are some other extreme things to try but without knowing the motherboard would not try anything yet.

an Original Name

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

No, Windows works fine on the new computer, and it was installed with the SSD previously from the computer from my PC using a memory stick.

an Original Name

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

An MSI Krait z97s SLI.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from an Original Name : "Mouse & KB not working in OS."

an Original Name

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

It's enabled by default. After some digging around, I have found that the mouse and KB only work through USB when the startup is set to UEFI, as opposed to UEFI and legacy, but Windows only boot in UEFI and legacy mode, otherwise we go to the shell... So that might help your investgations...?