Any 1440p IPS or VA monitors with refresh greater than 60Hz but around 24 inch

I'm looking to buy a 1440p monitor. I'm interested in IPS or VA. I'm also wanting a refresh greater than 60Hz but a screen size around 24 inches. I have not been able to find one. It seems like a cache 22. The IPS monitors around 24 inches seem to top out at 60Hz. The ones with a high refresh rate tend to start at 27 inches. Do anyone know of a monitor that fits my specs? Thanks in advance for any help.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1440p ips monitors refresh greater 60hz inch
  1. Nearly all monitors above 1080/1200p are 27" or bigger and TN dominates the high refresh rate market because TN is much easier to drive at high speeds. IIRC, the main issue with increasing refresh rates on IPS and other panel types is the increased voltages necessary which causes problems with electrolysis, so manufacturers are offering a very limited selection of such products to reduce their warranty liabilities. Being available only on larger (lower pixel density) panels could be related to that as I suspect larger pixels can tolerate more electrolysis before it noticeably affects performance and appearance.
  2. I'm afraid you're right. I've only found TN monitors that fit my specs. I don't like TN monitors. I've noticed colors look slightly different depending on angle. For example, the "ask the community" button looks dark red when it is at the top of page, but it looks like a slightly lighter shade of red when I scroll and move the button further down the screen.
  3. Best answer
    1. The selection of size should be matched to resolution. It's all about pixel density or pixels per inch (ppi). The human eye can start to "see" individual pixles at about 96 ppi and this number was part of the reason why Windows OS was designed around 96 ppi and the reason most monitors are in a certain size range

At 1080p, a 23" screen has 95.8 ppi
    At 1440p, a 27" screen has 108.8 ppi

Now if you put 1920 x 1080 pixels on a 27" screen, you are down to a pixel density of just 81.6 and the average person with "normal" vision will be able to see individual pixels at typical viewing distances. And this will make the image appear grainy

You're going the other way squeezing 1440ps worth of pixles into a 22" screen which results in 133.5. While certainly doable, I have see 4k screens on 17" laptops, its going to be quite hard to see the difference. In short, you will be paying more, for an advantage that your eyes are not really capable of seeing.

Here's the PCpartpicker link for all the 1440p monitors they track.

2. As to refresh rate, there are many 144+ Hz monitors at 1080p, the most popular of which is the Asus VG248QE. It has the added bonus of being able to use Motion Blur Reduction via the toastystrobelight utility

3. As to quality IPS / VA the IPS panels that are available at 1080P are priced such that for only a few more bucks you can get a 27" 1440p screen; this makes them very hard to recommend.
    You just can't ;look at a TN screen and an IPS screen and make conclusive judgements about the technology, quality varies in a big way between panels.

While it is certainly true that the best IPS panels are better than the best TN panels, if given the choice between a $300 IPS panel and a $300 TN panel, if the usage includes gaming, the IPS just won't cut it.

The quality IPS monitors with panels suitable for gaming are made by AU Optronics are up near $600 (1080p). With the 1440p models at $700, it's hard to make a case for 1080p.

You should also take into account what GFX card will be driving the monitor.

Freesync monitors cater to the technology in AMD GFX cards and it has a primary range range from 40 - 60 fps. There are still advantages to be gained above 60, but the level of improvement to be gained diminishes the higher it goes.

G-sync monitors cater to the technology in AMD GFX cards and it has a primary range range from 30 - 60 fps. There are still advantages to be gained above 60, but again the level of improvement to be gained diminishes the higher it goes. How G-Sync differs is in that it contains a hardware module which provides for ULMB, a Motion Blue reduction technology.

This technology strobes the backlight to eliminate ghosting. If you visit the blurbusters site, you can see how this technology works by looking at the 1st three photographs here:

The blur is obvious but once the MBR reduction technology is turned on, it all but disappears.

Some Freesync monitors have proprietary hardware modules for MBR included but the quality and effectiveness varies between manufacturers and models.
  4. Not all TN panels are created equal. If you have a MicroCenter nearby you should check out the Predator XB241YU in person.

I've not heard much about the AOC AG241QG, and I don't think you would find the Dell S2417DG in stores, but given these are all likely the same LCD panel, I'm sure they would be similar.

Assuming you don't mind paying the premium for a G-sync module.
  5. The Predator XB241YU seems interesting. Does it exhibit that odd change in color due to view angles?

Barring a suitable 25 inch, I think I'll have to get a 27 inch. Does the Asus - PG279Q ROG still have production issues?
  6. All TN panels will have viewing angle issues. That all depends on how you look at them. The more expensive monitors with nice adjustable stands should get you to the point where you don't notice it as much. But if you change position frequently it can still be a problem.

I have a PG279Q, and I don't think any of them are perfect. VA panels are not known for their color uniformity. You are trading color accuracy for speed. During normal use I don't notice much of the bright spot in the bottom right, and the glue glow from the left side is only visible on very dark backgrounds.
  7. YIKES!!

This is why I avoided buying a new monitor for so long. I currently game on a CRT and love it. However, my 980 needs to be replaced and the 1080 does not support VGA. I never had to deal with trade off issues or dead pixels for that matter with CRT's. It was pretty much about how much money I was willing to pay for what size screen.
  8. For me it was the risk of returning it and getting a refurbished or worse one as a result. Lots of people tried 5+ times and weren't satisfied. But I assume those people had previously had TN panels and weren't used to the less than perfect glow around the edges. Some were far far worse than mine.
  9. The Asus PG279Q ROG seems very highly rated among review sites. Then, I saw the reviews on Amazon and New Egg. Wow! What a horror show!
  10. Yes, there were many issues at release. Even my monitor suffers a little from color uniformity issues. Just something about that bottom right corner they couldn't quite get right.

That was nearly two years ago though. Since the demand is lower I imagine getting a replacement panel, if you did have an issue, is much easier.

I wasn't willing to wait weeks for a replacement monitor that was potentially worse. Barely noticeable once you are engaged in something. And most VA and IPS panels will suffer from these problems a little bit.

I think ASUS just wanted to attempt to meet demand (and maximize profit) on the the release date and sent pretty much every assembled monitor. out the door.

In all honesty, the Acer XB271HU is a cheaper option, same panel. I just didn't like the design.
Ask a new question

Read More

Screen Size Monitors