[HELP] installing windows to a separate ssd

Erppa112

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
So i just bought a SSD and it is a HyperX Fury 120gb that is brand new and i want to install windows 10 on it. I have a really old hard drive currently that is a Samsung 80gb and is possibly going to fail soon and it is running windows 7 ultimate. i dont want to upgrade my windows 7 on the old hard drive because its running out of space and it would be taking a long time to transfer it to the ssd after the upgrade if it is even possible. So i have downloaded the windows 10 installing tool that allows me to install windows 10 if you have a version of windows 7 or newer and i dont know if i can install windows with it to the new SSD. i'm willing to transfer my windows 7 to the ssd and upgrading it afterwards (again if that is possible)

Solution
Do you have your win 7 licence key? If you know that, you can install win 10 on SSD and try to register it using the licence key, it might work. The free upgrade period for win 10 ran out last July but many people have reported you can still use win 7 licence. If you upgrade it, you won't be able to use 7 and 10 on same PC at same time.

Its worth a try since its a new SSD and you not over writing old hdd.

Remove hdd from PC when you do it or win 10 might use boot partition on it and if you ever removed it, PC wouldn't boot.

You will still need to reinstall all your programs as ssd won't see them but if its steam, you can download the client and point default library location at old hdd and it won't want to download them all again...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have your win 7 licence key? If you know that, you can install win 10 on SSD and try to register it using the licence key, it might work. The free upgrade period for win 10 ran out last July but many people have reported you can still use win 7 licence. If you upgrade it, you won't be able to use 7 and 10 on same PC at same time.

Its worth a try since its a new SSD and you not over writing old hdd.

Remove hdd from PC when you do it or win 10 might use boot partition on it and if you ever removed it, PC wouldn't boot.

You will still need to reinstall all your programs as ssd won't see them but if its steam, you can download the client and point default library location at old hdd and it won't want to download them all again.

120gb is a little small for windows, I would have got 250gb at very least... more space to grow into.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS