Windows 7 upgraded to Win10 Pro Issues

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I purchased a used PC off craigslist that came with Win10 Pro, come to find out there is a Win 2.2 loader in my PC files and I'm lead to think this isn't a genuine OS. Anyways, I have had the PC for approx 8 months with no issues, starting this morning I keep getting a notification stating that my copy of windows needs to be activated or something along those lines.

When I go to settings > updated & security > Activation it states Edition: Windows 10 Pro, Activation: Windows is activated using your organization's activation service.

There is no countdown timer etc. I have no idea what to do. I have tried slmgr rearm many times. I'm at a loss here.

Solution
You bought a used PC.
With no real OS.
It is now showing unactivated.

You need to purchase your own valid OS for it.
All you bought was the hardware.

And for future reference...with any used PC, you really, really, really need to do a full wipe and reinstall as the very first thing you do.
Otherwise, you are trusting the previous owner(s), in not having anything criminal in there. Criminal far beyond a bogus OS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Personally, I would wipe the system and install a legit copy of Win 10. You have no idea what else is on that system, what you have now is certainly not legit. You have an activator installed. Time for it to go.

Tom's Hardware does not support any form of software piracy. None. Period.

USAFRet

Titan
You bought a used PC.
With no real OS.
It is now showing unactivated.

You need to purchase your own valid OS for it.
All you bought was the hardware.

And for future reference...with any used PC, you really, really, really need to do a full wipe and reinstall as the very first thing you do.
Otherwise, you are trusting the previous owner(s), in not having anything criminal in there. Criminal far beyond a bogus OS.

Solution

pmarceau

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

I Second the Above ↑.
It is best for you and the former owner, to wipe the drive.
You never know how the contents could harm You, or possibly them.
unless you trust them.