pc keeps crashing with multiple issues including but not limited to kmode exception and system thread exception not handled

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Hi,

Please help me with this pc issue.

the specs are:
Kraken X62 Water cooling for CPU
NZXT H440 Case
32 GB(4x8GB) GSkill 3200mhz DDR4 RAM
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Gaming Graphics card
MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
Intel 5820k Processor
EVGA SuperNova 850 Watt Gold Power Supply
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD
It runs on windows 10.

The problem i am having is that the computer has been crashing nearly everyday at least once and it has been due to multiple issues. Sometimes, kmode exception not handled, system thread exception not handled, and system service exception win32kbase.sys. I've tried redownloading graphics drivers, reinstalling various programs, turning off firewalls and security programs (which I don't really have any of except for windows defender), and I even went as far as reinstalling the OS. Idk if this is also related to my not being able to play BO3, which will crash in the middle saying the black ops 3 .exe is not working properly.

From my research, i hypothesized it was a ram issue, so i tried utilizing the windows memory diagnostic tool, which I realized after loading it up is completely useless since it only analyzes 4 gb of ram, and mine has 32 gb. unfortunately, everytime it finishes scanning, it keeps rebooting back and restarting the scan and i have no way of getting back to the windows 10 OS to turn it off. Idk how to get out of it and I CANNOT use a mem86+ (whatever its called) CD because I don't have one and I also don't have another windows computer to download it to. I have a Mac and I've tried to get mem86+ on the USB but it loads up terminal and I have no clue how to get the instructions up on terminal (people say you have to code or something, which irdk how to do).

Idk much about pc coding or pc building (i bought this from someone) so please don't make the answers too complicated or at least give me some dummy instructions.

Please help me get out of this death trap and once I get out of this diagnostic tool, and also, is my RAM hypothesis most likely correct???

Thanks. Appreciate all the help I can get!!!!!

Solution
great update utility they have there... The Intel Management thing may have been updated by Windows, they get updates direct from Intel.

Okay, I know where XtuAcpiDriver.sys came from, your motherboard has a utilities page amd one of them on page is Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - latest version listed on utility page happens to be from 27/4/17, and the guy who installed your PC may have installed it.

It should be showing in Apps and Features in Settings/Apps, just uninstall it from there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't have a mac so no idea how to make memtest86 on one.

you might want to make this on a mac though - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac
you might want to make this and boot off the USB to recover files off PC that you don't want to lose - https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-drive-for-pc-on-a-mac--cms-21187 (if we can't get into windows anyway)

you could try removing all ram except for 8gb and let is scan that and see if it ever ends

see if this helps break the loop but you will need the win 10 installer
put Installer USB into PC
start it up and press F11 at boot to get into boot order
use up/down arrows (possibly) to choose USB
PC will boot from USB

On 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Type the drive letter of the drive that has Windows 10 on if you have multiple HDD's. Example: E: + Enter and Dir + Enter to check its the right drive.
Type the below code and press enter. Bobs your uncle. That's all you need to do :)

bcdedit /bootsequence {memdiag} /remove
restart PC and see if it starts normally

As for the actual errors, those errors are likely to be drivers, not ram. win32kbase is normally seen in GPU driver errors

1. If you can get into windows, can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

2. Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

3. Try downloading memtest86 and make bootable USB and test each stick of ram, 1 at a time. Any errors are too many. and could show cause of bsod.

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Im not sure if you can answer this since you dont have a mac but ill ask anyways So after i downlod the iso file and go to boot camp assistant, i don't get the page the website you provided me shows. Instead i immediately go right to partitioning the drive into windows and mac rather than the "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk" tab. Im not sure why?

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
thanks for you help for getting out of the loop. was able to do that. i downloaded whocrashed and this is the file report. the win32kbase does not appear here because i reset the OS after experiencing that crash, thinking that would resolve everything. i will send you the other information as well later

On Wed 7/19/2017 9:26:46 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071917-8468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C4C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/19/2017 9:26:46 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/19/2017 8:42:29 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071917-4078-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x50C94)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF802884DAC94, 0xFFFFA9000F25C598, 0xFFFFA9000F25BDE0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Colif

Win 11 Master
open file explorer (Win key + E)
click on This PC in left listing - this will change view in right column to show devices and drives
double click on C drive in right column
open the windows folder (double click)
scroll though and find the minidump folder and open it
copy any you find in here and paste them into your Documents folder
Upload the copies from Documents onto a file sharing site like Google Drive or Onedrive and share the link here.

We will need the dumps as Whocrashed is just blaming the Windows Kernel which is what crashed but not likely to be the cause.

Glad I got you out of that loop :)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/FiB22Yp5

File: 071917-8468-01.dmp (Wed Jul 19 21:26:46.342 2017)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)] {ffffffffc0000005, 0, 8, 0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)

File: 071917-4078-01.dmp (Wed Jul 19 20:42:29.193 2017)
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff802884dac94, ffffa9000f25c598, ffffa9000f25bde0}
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)

I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
Maybe, maybe not. Wait for Colif or someone else to reply who knows more about it. I can only tell you what the dump file said.

In the meantime, you can download and run [memtest86] and test your RAM. It's best to test 1 stick of RAM at a time, but if you can't, just run the test on all RAM chips installed. Test for as long as you can. At least a few hours.

I wouldn't go buying new RAM just yet, wait for more replies.

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Yeah. I'm running memtest right now while I'm away for the day. It's 32 gb of ram, and I forgot to separate the sticks before I started, so I believe it will take a while. hopefully, the ram is the issue and not anything else more problematic.

thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
memory corruption seems to appear on almost every error, so no, I don't think its ram. More than likely its a driver causing it, its just hiding its identity behind ntoskrnl which is the windows kernel - sits between applications and hardware, deals with memory management and driver interactions.

If you lucky, Johnbl might look at dumps but while you wait, you can try to flush out the real driver.

you can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

note: sometimes this will put you into a boot loop so it helps to have a win 10 installer handy to get out again. Also helps to run system restore before hand to create a backup to roll back to if necessary.
Once it bsod, run who crashed again and see what driver it reveals

The instructions to stop it looping are in the link above I will show u anyway
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode
Now open command Prompt
type verifer /reset and press enter
restart PC

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
after i get to the windows installer menu, click repair this pc. I just see 4 options (continue, turn off your pc, use a device, troubleshoot). I don't see a thing called "start up options" so i decided to go for "troubleshoot." On "troubleshoot" I see (system restore, command prompt, system image recovery, uefi firmware settings, startup repair, go back to previous version). I'm assuming I should click "startup repair" and then choose "windows 10" as my target operating system?????? OR is there somewhere else I need to go??

not sure why this driver was being loaded, it did not look like you had a Bluetooth device on the motherboard.

Broadcom Bluetooth Firmware Download Filter driver from Broadcom Corporation.
Loaded symbol image file: bcbtums.sys
Timestamp: Mon Mar 23 14:31:26 2015

you will need to boot into safe mode, then run
verifier.exe /reset

and reboot
at this point you would want to update or remove the above driver.

then you can turn on verifier again and continue testing if you wish.

the old driver crashed because something corrupted its stack. it most likely corrupted its own stack so a driver update should help.

Note: I could not read the bios info from the memory dump. This often indicates a very old bios version is installed and should be updated (or very old machine)

get bios updates and driver updates from the motherboard vendors website.

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
so i'm guesing the broadcom bluetooth firmware driver is the one that I see beneath the bluetooth icon on "device managers." this one reads "Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device." I tried to update it but it says the driver's already updated. Would that be it or if not, how would i find the driver you mention? also, i still want my PC to have bluetooth so how would I make this possible if I can't use a bluetooth USB (since I'd delete my drivers). Also, I have a MSI motherboard, so I downloaded their MSI Live Update 6 application and downloaded all the updates they said I should do (none of them however says specifically BIOS or anything like that), so did I do that part right or no??

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
also, just to get it write this time. if I turn on verifier again with the process Colif gave me, can you give me an alternative way to end the verifier loop because the solution Colif gave me (while I'm grateful) doesn't work or at least it's not exactly what I see. I got lucky and made it back to windows but want to be sure I can do it again. when I load up my MSI bios and go to boot, I see many different boot options. Do i put the 1st boot order to be the UEFI USB or regular USB with windows 10 installer?

also, I get a different set of options after clicking repair PC on windows 10 installer than the ones Colif has given me, which include these images:

• after i get to the windows installer menu, click repair this pc. I just see 4 options (continue, turn off your pc, use a device, troubleshoot). I don't see a thing called "start up options" so i decided to go for "troubleshoot." On "troubleshoot" I see (system restore, command prompt, system image recovery, uefi firmware settings, startup repair, go back to previous version). I'm assuming I should click "startup repair" and then choose "windows 10" as my target operating system

Also, I frequently get "reboot and select proper boot device" messages on a black screen when I reboot. Idrk what I messed up to get this message, so could you let me know?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am sorry about that, A) You pointed out the fact my instructions were missing 2 lines I had never noticed before (so thanks for that), and B) the start up options screen isn't always available at boot and I am not entirely sure why.

You should be able to open command prompt from that menu in Troubleshoot and type verifer /reset - Safe mode is just more reliable as sometimes the command doesn't work outside of safe mode.

running start up repair may fix that "reboot and select proper boot device" message you get. Also, it shouldn't ask which OS you want to repair, it should know its 10.

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
so after entering verifier to test the drivers, what should the first boot device be (uefi USB or just regular USB)?

Also, would you let me know how I should address the bluetooth driver because I want bluetooth on my computer, but if that's failing and the pc says its the most updated, then is there any other way to deal with this?

Lastly, so once I enter windows 10 installer, I should run the command prompt code "verifier /reset". Then I should run start up repair to address the "reboot and select proper boot device." Then, after it goes through that entire repair process, what should I do? will it just boot up again, and I should change the boot order back to the hard disk in the BIOS???

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think it would be UEFI USB

Do you have a Bluetooth USB adapter? The motherboard itself doesn't have Bluetooth so your only option is a PCIe card or USB adapter I think?

Startup repair should be able to fix the bios for you so don't go in there after and change order. Even then, if it left USB as 1st choice, that shouldn't stop it booting as if PC finds no USB, it will go to 2nd option in the boot order. I have DVD as 1st choice in my boot order (for the rare times I need to fix windows) and yet windows boots each time.

trevalyn550

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
I have a USB bluetooth adapter, but that's what installs the bluetooth broadcomm driver that johnbl said is causing an issue. So, if I have to delete that or can't update it any further, then I don't think there'd be any other way to have bluetooth other than to have the "problem-causing" drivers installed. any other ideas??

also, thanks for letting me know about the boot order. I will try the verifier again and see what happens. then, I'll post the driver failure minidump here.

TRENDING THREADS