Why did galax hof cards just spike a hundred dollars?

j-dog499

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
I am looking to build a computer in the next few months despite the graphics card boom, however this is only because I planned to get a 1080 ti or a 1080 and I figured the boom wouldnt reach into such high performance brackets. However I noticed that galax (the only company making white gpus) just spiked their cards prices waaaaay up (1080 HOF is $799.99!). Do you guys think this will resolve itself once they realize those cards are more expensive then even the best 1080 ti? I think that Galax is just being super scummy about this whole thing imo. I hope it will bc it will really screw up my plans if these prices are permanent.

Just a suggestion. Get whatever card you want, take the shroud off, add paint, replace the shroud, enjoy new whatever color card. Right now prices on cards are ridiculous, knowing they have the only white card means they can charge whatever they want for it, if you want it, you'll pay for it. Check out which companies will honor the warranty if you play with the shroud, go for thems.

Shneiky

Distinguished
j-dog499@

Galax is not to blame. Miners bought out all Radeon cards. Then started buying 1060s- they ran out. Then started with 1070s - they ran out as well. Now they have no choice than to start buying 1080s.

If there is limited availability on a product - prices jump. Thats it. Galax had one of the cheaper 1080s compared to other large brands.

j-dog499

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

yeah, I guess you're right. I just hadnt seen any other 1080s rise yet, though maybe by raising the price so dramatically they are protecting their stock so their prices can return to non ridiculous levels more easily once the ether bubble pops.

Shneiky

Distinguished
It has to do with supply and demand.

I view Galax as a lower tier quality wise cards - a little louder, a little hotter, a little whinier than top tier (Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire, EVGA, MSI [which I am not found of, but that is just me]). They had an upper hand when it comes to price - usually landing 10-20% lower price. My viewing of Zotac is similar.

But since the mining craze and specially the HOF - which is the only white build of high-end cards - supply is in short demand. Galax is not very common in Europe for example, since most of the stock of these is sold out in Asia and not a lot of units get shipped here. So when you see a Galax made card at the moment - price is not really competitive. Galax does not control the end price - it retailers. And since the stock is low - retailers can push prices up.