Reactivate windows 10 after a GPU upgrade? (and future CPU + mobo upgrade)

Ian The Pineapple

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hello!

I plan on upgrading my GTX 1050ti (I installed it when I built my PC and it was there when I installed Windows 10) to a 1060 6GB within a few months. Would doing this require reactivating Windows? I've seen conflicting sources for this, and many weren't even for Windows 10.

One final question: I plan on upgrading my CPU + mobo (not RAM or storage) around when Intel Cannonlake comes out (Mid-late 2018), would doing this require reactivation? If so, could Microsoft support simply reactivate over the phone? (I've heard that they can)

Thanks for the help!
-Ian

Solution
No, a GPU change will not affect Windows whatsoever. How do I know? I just went from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080 ti and absolutely nothing happened.

The one time you should reinstall and reactivate Windows is when you change the motherboard. Other than that, there are very few instances where you have to do anything special to Windows.
No, a GPU change will not affect Windows whatsoever. How do I know? I just went from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080 ti and absolutely nothing happened.

The one time you should reinstall and reactivate Windows is when you change the motherboard. Other than that, there are very few instances where you have to do anything special to Windows.

Solution
Windows activation is keyed to the mobo. So no issues with changing out a GPU. Before you change out a CPU/mobo, link your windows 10 to your microsoft account: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account. Then, after the hardware upgrade, you can reactivate windows 10.