(FOUND FIX) PC Will NOT Shut Down, NOR Restart Anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Hello!

I have Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, and it is an Upgrade from Windows 7.
I've been using it since last winter, and everything worked perfect! Until two weeks ago... :(((((((

Almost two weeks ago Windows made some updates to itself:
- 2017-07 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025376)
- 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342)

I don't remember doing anything else(nor software nor hardware) at that time, so I don't even know what to troubleshoot for. :|
I don't know if it's directly the update's fault or not, but it was arround that time, when the problem started...

After these updates, my PC DOESN'T shut down, NOR restart anymore. It just freezes/stays in the bluescreen with "shutting down/restarting" message... I left the PC until morning and still nothing.
And the only way to reboot or shut down, is to press the physical power and reset buttons on the case. :((

I TRIED ALL THE FOLLOWING:

1. Clean Startup boot.
2. Booted in Safe Mode.
3. Reset BIOS/UEFI settings.
4. Checked RAM sticks.
5. Checked PSU(with another PSU).
6. Checked system files with "sfc /scannow" in Command Prompt.
7. Ran a freaking "Scan Disk".
8. Checked and repaired Registry entries with CCleaner.
9. Tried restarting/shuting down while holding down the Shift key(a stupid recommendation).
10. Tried a Repair with a Windows Installation Disk. It said "it could not fix any system files"....... Does that mean they weren't broken, or just too broken to even be fixed??
11. Checked the settings in the Power Options. Just reset them a couple of times...
12. Someone else with the exact same problem, even tried a CLEAN INSTALL, and still didn't help. Windows would just install again those BAD SYSTEM UPDATES. :((((((

NONE OF THIS WORKS!!! So why do people keep telling me to do them??? 1 + 1 will always equal 2 !!

I don't understand this at all, for half a year it worked flawlessly! I would understand if this would happen exactly after a fresh Windows install... But not after 7+ months!!

If someone had this exact problem and managed to fix it, PLEASE teach me how you did it! I really don't want a failed fresh install................... :((

My PC:
- AMD FX 8320 - 8 Core CPU
- Evga GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black
- Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
- ADATA Premier PRO SP900 - 128Gb SSD
- Kingston HiperX 16Gb RAM
- Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - Version 1703 - OS Build 15063.540 (With all drivers up to date. Even the Windows updates).

Thank you!

EDIT:

I finally found the FIX to this rare issue! At least for me... A Microsoft level 2 support named Carlito helped me. Thank you man!!
You have to check for two things, and make sure they are set as I say below:

1. Go to Device Manager -> Network adapters -> Network Card -> right click -> Properties -> Power Management -> Make sure the first two boxes are checked, then apply and exit.

2. Windows Key + R -> gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> find this entry "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" -> right click -> Properties -> check "Disabled", then apply and exit.

After this, your PC should Restart and Shut Down with no issue.

Reactions: crystas
Solution
FIX:

I finally found the FIX to this rare issue! At least for me... A Microsoft level 2 support named Carlito helped me. Thank you man!!
You have to check for two things, and make sure they are set as I say below:

1. Go to Device Manager -> Network adapters -> Network Card -> right click -> Properties -> Power Management -> Make sure the first two boxes are checked, then apply and exit.

2. Windows Key + R -> gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> find this entry "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" -> right click...
Aside a stalled shutdown, the pc works just fine otherwise?
as for the reason as to why : probably a corrupted file.

suggestion:

try a clean boot mode (extracted from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows)
From Start, search for msconfig.
Select System Configuration from the search results
On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
Close Task Manager.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Hey!

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, I wasn't arround.

Yes, aside for the shut down and restart issue, the PC works fine.

And for what you recomended, I already said I've done this in the original post, didn't you read it? I did a Clean Boot, nothing changed. The only difference was that, the start up process was A LOT slower... WTF? :ouch:
The PC still didn't want to shut down/restart with the start up programs and services turned off.
I even reset my BIOS settings.... Read that in a thread somewhere. Nothing works. :(((((((((((

BTW: Can you please move this thread to the right location? I wrote it by mistake in the Display thread. :(
And because of that, no one else is replying to me, except you... :|

Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
How did you try to get to safe mode? If you tried F8 it won't work in Win 10 as that feature turned off by default

Do you have a win 10 installer? If not, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

see if you can get to safe mode this way
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Often startup options isn't an available choice, so try system restore and see if it helps

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Hey!

Thanks for the reply.

I actually got into Safe Mode, without a disk or installer.
I saw that the F8 option doesn't have it anymore. But you can force your computer to show those options. :)
How? Just hit the reset button while you are in Windows. And when it boots up, it will ask you what boot option you want: normal boot, safe mode, etc... Because I CAN NOT restart my PC in the normal way, I always end up restarting with the reset button. :( Well, I always shut down/restart windows first, even if it doesn't do it, I do it just to be sure it saved all its files.

As for the Repair option, I need a Windows 10 kit... I don't have one yet.
I guess I'll make an USB stick a bootable Windows 10 installer, with their Tool. I hope it works, haven't done that until now, and I hope my motherboard knows how to boot to USB sticks/drives/etc. :|

My one and only stick is 16Gb, is it enough? :-s

Thank you!

EDIT:

So I managed to make my stick into a Windows kit and boot from it. That's good I guess, for the future...

I went into the Advanced Options and tried the Repair boot option. Unfortunately it says that it can not repair it......... :(((((
Why? I did this in Windows 7 many times, and it worked flawlessly. :(

Any other ideas I can try? If I have to do a full reinstall, then I'd rather stay with it the way it is, until in completely dies on me...

Colif

Win 11 Master
often start up repair will say that even if it finds nothing wrong

Try turning off fast startup and see if that fixes the shutdown issue - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
have you changed any power management options in bios? I helped one guy whose PC would restart as soon as it was shutdown.
make sure you have latest bios

it might be a driver isn't reacting well to win 10's new power modes
What PSU do you have?

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Please read carefully the original post. I already said this:
I looked at something similar, and checked it out, but I don't have that option/feature at all, despite having the latest Windows version... I am talking about "Turn on fast startup" in the Power settings, it's not there.

My PSU? It's a Thermaltake Smart 630W. I bought it new three years ago and had no issues with it. They can't start now...
Link to it: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001800

Actually this happens when an update doesnt get installed properly, therefore windows tries to install it while shutting down or restarting. Even windows try downloading and install them while restarting or shutdown.
Do a system restore to a date before the updates and see if it fixes things.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Yeah, my system restore is turned off... :( Not enough space for it on my SSD.

It can't download and install when it wants to, I set up my "Active Hours" for updates and their restart.
It says those updates were installed successfully with no issues, so why?? I tried uninstalling them to see if that's the problem, but Windows keeps installing them back on its own... :fou:

Is there a way to Block specific updates from taking place? That would be very useful...

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

I said block SPECIFIC updates, NOT turn off Windows Update for good!

Why is no one paying attentiobn when reading? :(

Of course you are; I'm a child of seventy.

If you're going to be ungrateful to everyone who posts advice for you, it's time to go to another place where they can come up to your expectations.

If you aren't able to understand withdrawing the Update Service when those you don't want are likely to come through, there is nothing more I can do to help you.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Not trying to offend, but advice to what? You are telling me to turn off Windows Updates. By doing so, I will not receive any future updates.
I just asked IF I can filter SOME updates, NOT disable Windows Update for good. If it's possible, ok. If not.........ok.

So, of course my replies will be like that, when nobody is paying attention when reading something. For example, recommending someone something, when he already did / try that, and mentioned it in the original post. This doesn't apply to you though.
But it was about the details, so... Sorry if I made you mad too.

Windows 10 downloads and installs updates in its own time and wih no warning. Most often, we get to find they're in is where we shut down and get the "Don't turn off your computer" message.

I keep the Service turned off until it suits me to put it back on when I can spare the time to supervise. Immediately, it goes off to check for updates and I can watch the process running and step in when an update I don't want, I remove it.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

I get what you're saying.

But Windows tries and tries and tries to install that update on your computer, even over your dead body......! This is pointless.
I have to stay all day to hit cancel the download / update. Can someone really do that? :| But at the same time I need other security and driver updates.

I tried uninstalling the two updates a couple of times. But no, Windows keeps shoving them in my............PC, right after.
So it's pointless fighting with a Script. It's not even an A.I.

I hate the new Windows, it forces itself in your computer with all of its beeep... :(

EDIT:
You CAN NOT cancel an ongoing update. There are NO buttons there.
BTW: I have Windows 10! Windows 7 was a totally different story...

Power down by holding the power button in for ten seconds until all the fans' sounds have gone quiet.

Next, start by removing one of the RAM sticks then powering up. Repeat the process until the last stick standing fails to make a difference. At that point, they can all go back in because they're off the suspects' list.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have hibernate disabled then Fast startup option won't be in that menu. And since it uses hiberfil.sys, I can understand why it wouldn't be there if hibernate is off as well.

So since its off, its even more mysterious as to why its hanging at shutdown,

You could look in event viewer (custom views, admin) to see if there is any clues there as to what its waiting for. If it boots up fine in safe mode and also shuts down normally, it sounds to me like its a driver messing you around.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Hi.

Yes, Hibernate is turned off. So that's why Fast Startup wasn't there? I thought it was because I had a desktop PC, and that option is available just for Laptops, etc...

As for Safe Mode: Yes, it boots fine into it. But, restarting and shuting down out of it, still does not work, and keeps me hanging....... :| :(
So this REALLY IS, a mistery case for Sherlock Technicians. :( :( :( :(
I would have prefered the PC to work in Safe Mode, restarting/shutting down I mean. That way I would have known it was a software/driver that was making me hang. And it would have been easy to find the culprit, with the Clean Boot mode, one by one... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I hope it's not a Motherboard or PSU issue, though... I don't have any "spare parts" lying around, to test this out. :(

And Event Viewer.....I've never used it. And when I did, I didn't know where and what to look for... I may be an advanced user, but that's the only thing I don't know how to use. :( There might be a few more..... :/

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Hey.

Well, that's how I power down anyway, nowadays...... :|

Can RAM prevent/cause the PC from/to Shut Down and Restart? This is new to me. Mainly because it did not happen to me, yet.
I do know that faulty RAM gives you a lot of those lovely Blue Screens. This did happen to me in the past.

If it will turn out to be a RAM issue, 1 Dimm is not a big issue. I just hope it's not a Motherboard or a PSU issue... I don't have "spare parts" lying around, to test it out. :(

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

I assure you that there is no problem with your hardware components and its a problem within windows 10. I had issues with system updates. Like the latest windows cumulative updates cause problems when using comodo internet security; The system boots up very slowly and boots into windows with just a black screen. After system recovery and uninstallation of the comodo internet security solves the issues, i let windows finish the update then reinstall comodo internet security back.
Like a year and a half ago, i had issues like this, the computer was stuck at restarting page or shutdown after installing updates for hours , then disconnecting the router or turning off the internet connection made the restart complete.
So, my point is that with windows 10, the updates have gotten a lot messier and may cause issues. Sometimes a fresh install of windows is necessary for such issues as there is no backup or recovery available.

LucianAndries

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017

Hey.

God damn it, Microsoft!! Why did you have to "FIX" something that wasn't broken?????????!!!! :fou::fou::fou:

Yeah, well on my end, updates take place in 10 seconds, download+install. I have actual gigabyte internet speed from my internet provider, and a decent fast PC... :) But If the update failed somewhere, it would have been marked as "FAILED" in Update History. But the updates from that time were all successful. :| Didn't get any updates since that time, except for windows defender.

I think Microsoft is scr...toying with us. I went on their Support Page to ask for help. Well, there is no chat anymore! It all went bye-bye! All that is left is to schedule a phone call from them...
I got the call and explained the issues I have, to the little children that work at Microsoft Support Department... The nice lady..sorry, little girl on the phone, said she can not help me with anything at all. And to go to answers.microsoft.com for help................. WTF-REALLY MICROSOFT?!?!?!
I asked her about the good old times, when a technician connected to your computer to troubleshoot it and try to fix it... The little girl said they won't do that anymore, not even a Live Chat! :ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:

Even Live Chat would have been nice, you would get "step-by-step" help... But NO, she said to go ask the Comunity......

Jesus Christ, Microsoft!!!! Admin?? Can I swear please???? Just this time?? :( I need to get this out of my system, or I will explode. :( :( :(

EDIT:
Does anyone know where I can get, a very long-range sniper rifle, that shoots nuclear missiles? LoL!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Search for reliability monitor in cortana and see what it reports, it may give a clue and is slightly easier to understand than the event viewer

try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - not to save files as such, but to see if you get same reaction shutting down pc in liinux. That will tell you for sure if it is Windows and not hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.