New PC Build + Win 10 x64 Pro disc + Evo 850 SSD

EchoEko

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hello. I have a brand new Windows 10 64-bit Professional disc that I would like to install onto my brand new, unused Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD.

I have an Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD drive installed.

Before I attempt to install anything... is all I do is run the install disc from the Asus Drive & follow on-screen instructions?

I'm not coming from another OS, this is a completely new build PC with an install disc.

Solution

1) it's just my standard practice to unhook all but the OS drive, but if there's no data on the HDD it's no big deal. Just make sure you select the SSD to install Windows to.

You can physically install the HDD and attach the SATA cable to the motherboard now, then just attach the SATA data and power cables to the HDD later.

*Please note that the system may try to boot to the HDD but not find the operating system if...
Yep.
1) Have your MSN email and password handy (though it can be done later)

2) type the KEY when prompted (if you reinstall you will SKIP the key as Microsoft will detect your system and has your key recorded once you install the fist time).

Other:
a) I'd unhook any other drives just to be safe
b) after you have everything installed (including MS updates, drivers, other programs), I suggest using a program like Acronis True Image to make a backup Image (which you can restore rather than start everything from scratch)

EchoEko

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
ok cool, thank you guys.

so it's best then to wait & install my other WD 1TB IHD after installation is totally complete, so that the PC only recognizes the DVD drive & SSD to install onto?

Also, one more thing, will the BIOS be able to use my USB 2 connected keyboard, or do I need the PS/2 type of keyboard to work?

1) it's just my standard practice to unhook all but the OS drive, but if there's no data on the HDD it's no big deal. Just make sure you select the SSD to install Windows to.

You can physically install the HDD and attach the SATA cable to the motherboard now, then just attach the SATA data and power cables to the HDD later.

*Please note that the system may try to boot to the HDD but not find the operating system if you add it in after Windows is installed. If so, just go into the BIOS and change the Boot Order so the SSD is first (or DVD drive is first and SSD second if you plan to boot to any DVD's such as MEMTEST86).

2) PS2? Wow...
You should use USB for a modern motherboard, but note that not every USB port will work. Some of them only function after Windows boots (you can even DISABLE some or all of the USB ports to increase boot time. Don't disable ALL of them in the BIOS, but perhaps do a PARTIAL if that's an option which may only detect the top USB ports recommended for Keyboard and Mouse.

The motherboard manual probably recommends two of the top USB rear slots to use for keyboard and mouse for the above reasons. In fact, if you look at them they may have a keyboard and mouse symbol next to them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS