Windows Update Stalling Repeatedly at 83% "Working on updates"

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Windows 10 update stalls at 83% for days. I am unable to access any other screen. Where do I go from here? I have an ASUS laptop with a non-removable battery and no visible battery restart button. No matter what I have tried, I cannot get any other screen to allow me to do a safe mode boot or any other resolutions I have found on line.

Can anyone help?

Thanks much.

Solution

Hello again

My apologies for not being able to understand the problem correctly. Since you are able to shut down the computer normally, you can power it off, and Restart It In Safe Mode externally using a bootable media.

From the Safe Mode, you can go to C:\Windows\Software Distribution folder and delete all its contents. This will remove all the update files and will allow you to begin Windows Update...
Hello Binketta

Can you please elaborate what do you mean by 'no visible battery restart button'?

If you want to restart the laptop, you can press and hold down the Power button for 20 seconds. Doing so shuts down the computer, and allows you to boot it normally.

Please report back for any other questions or assistance.

Cheers!!

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Celebrity,

Thank you so much for responding. I have read that most laptops without a removeable battery have a battery reset button which is a small hole on the back of the computer. My ASUS does not have such a 'hole'.

I have tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds with no success,

I still need to be able to access a screen on which I am able to access alternate solutions.

Thank you so much for responding.

Binketta
''
'

Hello again Binketta

Thanks for the details.

It's really strange that pressing and holding down the Power button didn't shut down the laptop.

Can you please share the exact model of your ASUS laptop and I will try to help you restart it?

Cheers!!

Hello again

I searched a few threads online and almost all of them say that it's the Power button you need to press and hold down for a while to force shutdown.

Also, the laptops with no removable battery do have a battery reset hole at the bottom.

Can you please try the Power button trick one more time? Also, please check with the laptop's user manual for the battery reset hole.

If the laptop still can't be forced to shut down, you may need to talk to ASUS' Customer Care Team to help you with this.

Good Luck!!

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I have not been clear on the problem I am experiencing. I can turn the laptop on and off with no problem. What I am experiencing is that the Windows update keeps stalling at 83% and I am unable to find any way past this screen to attempt corrections.

If you have any ideas on this, I would be most appreciative.

Hello again

My apologies for not being able to understand the problem correctly. Since you are able to shut down the computer normally, you can power it off, and Restart It In Safe Mode externally using a bootable media.

From the Safe Mode, you can go to C:\Windows\Software Distribution folder and delete all its contents. This will remove all the update files and will allow you to begin Windows Update from the start.

Please let me know if this works or you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

Solution

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Binketta

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Thank you so much for all your earnest assistance. I really do appreciate it.

So, I turned on my computer and now I am getting a message stating "We couldn't compete the updates. Undoing changes. Do not turn off your computer." Of course it has been saying this for at least two hours. LOL

I will let you know what happens.