LG Monitor Color Temperature

Zangetzo

Honorable
May 23, 2016
I bought new LG 24MP58VQ monitor but this one doesn't have numbers for color temperature, instead it has Warm, Medium and Cool.
Anyone know what is the best option to select?

Solution
@Zangetszo, Have you tried the other presets? Would you agree they are on the extremes? I find the presets are typically too extreme to have a correct white balance compared to what the middle setting offers.

I don't disagree with what has been said as it is true but the monitor is creating its own light rather than reflecting external sun/lights to see it so is less pronounced. It's nowhere near as noticeable to printer calibrating or any object not creating light. Unless you critically need color accuracy, it makes no difference and you stay on the middle setting. Keeping the room darker makes it unnoticeable to common people. Actually I'd say most people don't notice it at all.
There is no "right" color temperature that we can tell you over the Internet. Your brain looks at everything you can see, and decides what "white" is based on that. That's why colors look "right" to your eye no matter the conditions, but look terrible when you take a photograph.

The proper color temperature is the one which most closely matches your ambient lighting.

• ■ If you're in a room at night with incandescent lighting, "warm" is going to look right.
    ■ If you're in a room in daytime with sunlight streaming in the window or overcast skies, "medium" will look right.
    ■ If you're in a room in daytime with clear blue skies but with no sunlight coming in the window (room is entirely in the shade), "cool" is going to look right.

Zangetzo

Honorable
May 23, 2016

Thats ridiculous im not gonna change my color temp based on room light. There has to be one option for all. I cant imagine ppl changing color temp for morning, afternoon and evening.

@Zangetzo. Most poeple that really require color accuracy work in rooms with controlled lighting. Solandri is right though. The color of the ambient light does effect the color you see on your monitor.

Typically warm is more "picture accurate" then the cool setting on monitors. But since color accuracy doesn't really matter for gaming just pick the one you think looks best.

Picking warm does reduce the amount of blue light which some find irritating to look at. Personally I prefer it especially if you game in the dark.

Then set it at medium and live with a slightly blue-looking image at night, a slightly orange-looking image on sunny days.

I had trouble believing it at first too. But while trying to color calibrate my printer (at night), I printed two test pics of grey patches using different color profiles. The greys looked right on print A, while print B had an orange tint. So I set color profile A as the default and thought I was done.

But I happened to look at them the next day while standing next to the window. Suddenly print A had a blue tint, while the greys looked correct on print B. These were physical prints, so there was no color shift going on. I had to take them inside and outside several times to convince myself what I was seeing was real, that I wasn't imagining it. I even asked a few other people, and they agreed that the "right" color profile changed depending on what light I used to view the prints.

@Zangetszo, Have you tried the other presets? Would you agree they are on the extremes? I find the presets are typically too extreme to have a correct white balance compared to what the middle setting offers.

I don't disagree with what has been said as it is true but the monitor is creating its own light rather than reflecting external sun/lights to see it so is less pronounced. It's nowhere near as noticeable to printer calibrating or any object not creating light. Unless you critically need color accuracy, it makes no difference and you stay on the middle setting. Keeping the room darker makes it unnoticeable to common people. Actually I'd say most people don't notice it at all.

Solution

Zangetzo

Honorable
May 23, 2016

Honestly yeah i have been trying color temps on different images and medium so far come out nicely.