After booting up, icons aren't showing and taskbar is unresponsive

Lith1946

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
After logging in, my wallpaper shows up and the taskbar does as well but no icons at all and the taskbar is completely unresponsive. Ctrl+alt+delete works but the task manager never shows up or anything. First time when I turned it on it said it was "scanning and repairing C drive" but I assumed this was because I just turned it off at the button beforehand

Solution
is a restart really slow as well?

try starting PC with no peripherals attached and see if it helps. No external drives, no extra USB. It could be the PC is waiting on a device to answer
Is File explorer slow to react?
Do you have an ssd or hdd? Might want to run hdtune on drive and check its health tab

go into safe mode and see if its same
at screen before login, where you click a button to bring up login box, click the power button in bottom right of screen
press and hold shift while clicking restart
this should load a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

Is it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
is a restart really slow as well?

try starting PC with no peripherals attached and see if it helps. No external drives, no extra USB. It could be the PC is waiting on a device to answer
Is File explorer slow to react?
Do you have an ssd or hdd? Might want to run hdtune on drive and check its health tab

go into safe mode and see if its same
at screen before login, where you click a button to bring up login box, click the power button in bottom right of screen
press and hold shift while clicking restart
this should load a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

Is it same or normal? If its normal, problem could be a start up program
you can try setting PC to do a clean boot on restart - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows, should be able to do that from safe mode

Solution