Ryzen 5 build. RAM compatibility and maybe GTX 1070 SLI (worth it?)

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

After my bad experience with an I7 7700k i decided to switch to AMD so i came up with the following build.

MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Cooler: AMD stock cooler. (just for now since i have will not OC yet)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit
RAM: Corsair 16GB(2x8GB), DDR4, CL16, 3200 MHz, Vengeance LPX Black - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
PSU: Corsair RM650x, 80 PLUS GOLD, 650W, 135mm fan
HDD: WD Blue 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III
Case: Zalman R1 White

About the RAM the QVL says that supports the : CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R and CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W, which i suppose its just the colour that differs.
1. Can i run the RAM at 3200 ?
2. Could there be any compatibility issues within the components ?
3. Should i be worried about CPU temps ? Is AMD Ryzen 5 1600 + stock cooler a stable setup ?
4. Is this build good for 1080p gaming having 60+ fps at high/ultra ? If yes, for how many years can i enjoy 60+ fps at high/ultra ? (if not check question 5)
5. It is worth a GTX 1070 SLI ? I plan to do that in the future.
6. Can the PSU support the SLI ?
7. Should i be worried about the case that i might not be able to add a second GPU ?

There are all the question that i have in mind now, if you have other suggestions i welcome them.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
1. It's Ryzen from numerous posts you will get close to 3000 but not over unless your lucky and/or extremely talented.

2. Looks compatible. Go to pcpartpicker.com plug in your components.

3. If you overclock you need a aftermarket cooler if not stock cooler should suffice.

4. Your CPU is worse than the 7700K in gaming. Not sure why you would downgrade. It will perform better in multitasking. Pretty much whatever performance you where obtaining gaming with the 7700K will not be as good with this build. So, simply if you weren't getting the desired effect then you definitely won't get it w. a Ryzen 5.

5. NO SLi does not scale with most games. This is discussed time and time again. Sell your 1070 they are overpriced ATM and buy a 1080Ti.

6. I would get at least a 750 Watt tier 1 PSU but that's me. 650 is borderline.

7. Never seen the case except pictures online. You should be able to tell if another GPU would fit by looking.....

Not sure what "issues" the 7700K gave you, but considering it's still the king of strictly gaming I'm confused.

exroofer

Distinguished
1. With the latest bios's, hitting 3200 ram speed with good quality kits is not hard, at all. A little research will find examples of what ones are hitting this with your specific mobo.
3. 3.7 to 3.8 OC's are easily attainable on the stock cooler. 4.0 can be reached , runs a little warm but within chip specs. A Hyper 212 Evo is enough for a 24/7 4.0 OC.
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw
Thirty games benchmarked against a 7800x and a 7700K. Decide for yourself. AM4 socket will have support through the next 2 generations of Ryzen. As in the next gen chips will drop right in, with nothing more than maybe a bios flash. Making the upgrade path as cheap as it can get. No new mobo or copy of Windows.
I don't know about you, but I have stuff up on my other monitor all the time while gaming. More threads means there is literally zero difference to my game when I do this.

5. One faster card is always better than SLI solutions in 99% of scenarios.

6. The psu is more than enough if you don't SLI.

If I already owned a 7700k system, I would not find it even remotely cost effective to swap to a Ryzen build.
Is it heat issues with the 7700K that you are having problems with? Back off the OC a little.
Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Ryzen, and think it is a fine choice, but you are talking some fairly substantial money for what is basically a trade-off, peak game fps for more multitasking ability.
If the costing is not an issue, than go for it. Ideally having both systems running at the same time so you can test for yourself what you prefer.

Perhaps a little background on what issues you are having would enable them to be resolved without the drastic and expensive step of building a whole new system?

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Thank you both for your answers. The problem i had with the 7700k were related to high temperatures and weird temperature oscillations on idle! The temps were crazy, like now was 30C then instantly up to 60C then instantly back to 30 on random cores or entire CPU package. To mention that i returned all the components of the 7700k build to the store and got my money back. Also the GPU on the Intel build was GTX 1060. But as I said Intel build is history and i decided to go AMD.

@exroofer I know about that video but unfortunately that guy is using a 1080Ti. I would like to see a real R5 1600 + GTX 1070 since on Youtube are many ones with different results, I dont know which one to trust.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
With the latest bios you can theoretically O.C ram above 3K. But, as many on here and Linus tech forums pointed out even after updated bios going to 3200 is not happening. So, I would consider it hard idk where you getting your facts. You can get a top of the line RAM kit that would make it easier, but he would be better off getting a 1080 or Ti with the extra funds.

To you should not O.C with the stock cooler! I agree maybe a "mild" O.C , but that is pointless. Get at least 4 GHZ.

The 7700K is the best gaming CPU even better than the new "elite" 7900X not AMD card ATM can beast it. Will games scale better in multicore support and such? Maybe. Maybe in 5 years, maybe in a year.. who knows? For strictly gaming Intel>AMD. Multitasking and gaming I would get a Ryzen

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Guys i got a dilemma here. Nowdays thanks to ethereum miners the prices of GTX 1070 and 1080 are almost the same and i told myself why not to get an 1080. So i have checked some models but i dont really know which one to get, whats the difference between them and which is the best.

I have looked at these:
1. Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Dual, 8GB GDDR5X, 256-bit
2. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC, 8GB GDDR5X, 256-bit
3. GIGABYTE GeForce® GTX 1080 G1 Gaming, 8GB GDDR5X, 256-bit

The price between these 3 gpus differs, the first one is less expensive and the last one is the most expensive. Is the 650w psu enough to supply the build? Will the R5 1600 bottleneck it? And the last question is which one to get ?

Any other advice regarding the GPU ?

Thanks!

exroofer

Distinguished
The psu has enough power to drive it, as long as you don't add in a bunch of power hungry things to the build later.
The 1600 will not bottleneck it any noticeable fashion. I mean, the youtubers are running 1080Ti's at 1080p ultra.
Pretty much all the 1080's perform the same, as long as thermal throttling doesn't happen.
Chances are the second option will perform equally as well as the third, perhaps with more OC headroom on the third.
If the clockspeeds are more or less equal on both, and you aren't going for record setting overclocks on the video card, I'd go option 2. Unless there is very little price difference of course.
And of course, having Gaming in it's name must mean it's "better" right? Thus the higher price lol.
Seriously though, as long as the card you get is from one of the trusted brands, and has good cooling and similar/identical clockrates, get the most value for your money.

Golden Rule Of Video Cards.
No matter what one you buy, a "better" one will go on sale next week.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
What do you mean by "a bunch of power hungry things" ?

I will probably get a better cooler someday and obviously OC the cpu.