PC Freezes at least once per day - depending on windows 10 version

sandoichi

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Hello. I have been having problems with my pc freezing and I can't figure out what the root cause is. The behavior changes depending on windows 10 version...

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-6700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i GT
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16gb DDR4 3200
MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
PSU: Corsair HX 1000W
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB
HDD: WD Blue 500GB
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

Symptoms:
Starting probably a year ago, system had been randomly locking up once every few days. About 2 months ago I finally decided to reformat my OS drive and reinstall Windows 10 (latest being creators edition, which I didn't previously have installed). This is where things got worse.

Upon first getting to the desktop after going through the Windows 10 install screens, my system was completely frozen and required a power button reboot. After that, it consistently would freeze within 10 minutes every single boot. The freezing wasn't 100% instantaneous either; by that I mean that if I had a browser open and some other programs open, I might be able to move around my browser window but my desktop / other programs would be completely frozen. Anything not frozen would slowly freeze. Within a minute from the initial symptoms, the whole system would be frozen and require a reboot.

I tried reinstalling windows again probably 20 times. Every time I tried different sequences of things, such as:

• Install windows and nothing else
    Install windows and gpu drivers
    Install windows and gpu / mobo drivers

Every single boot, it froze within 10 minutes. Being unable to roll back from the creators edition since I did a full reformat, I had to go searching on MSDN for a previous build of Windows 10. I snagged an ISO from ~ June 2016 and installed with that. That installation worked much better than the creator's update, however my problem is still here. I freeze consistently once per day, maybe twice on a bad day. It freezes in the same slow manner that I experienced on the creator's update, just not nearly as frequently.

Also, if I leave my PC on over night, I have roughly a 50% chance that it reboots and I wake up to my BIOS screen. When this happens, I notice my SSD isn't listed in the hardware list. As many times as I try to directly exit bios and launch OS, it will fail because it won't see SSD. However, if I cut the power and boot up from that point, it loads into windows just fine.

I've tried a bunch of random things after searching online such as:

• RAM torture tests - no issues found
    Hard drive health checks - no issues found
    Disable CStates in bios
    Update to latest bios
    Remove any overclocks (both CPU and RAM running at default speeds)
    Re-seat every hardware component and rebuilt the entire system
    Monitored temps - no issues
    Moved ram to 2/4 slot instead of 1/3 slot
    Switched out sata cables and sata ports being used
    Checked windows event viewer after every incident and found nothing but normal windows warnings I get on every boot

I'm at a complete loss on how to further troubleshoot and diagnose the problem here. I can't find any pattern in the freezes occurring. It strikes me odd that its every 10 minutes on the creator's update, and once a day on an older build. If it were a hardware issue, why is this behavior present? Only other thing I can think of is that my PSU is 7 years old (every other component was purchased within the last 2 years). If it were a PSU issue, why would it behave differently depending on the windows 10 version though?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

sandoichi

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

I replaced sata cables and moved to different ports.

BIOS is up to date.

Ran memtest and 0 errors found.

There are no bent cpu pins.

I have reinstalled a bunch of times already using both a usb drive set up from their media tool as well as setting up my own from an older ISO.

sandoichi

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

Tried that as well. Ran memtest on it at that speed and still didn't find any errors or produce freezing during the test. However the system froze later as normal.