How do I remove a system folder from "This PC?"

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
I have Windows 10 64-bit version installed and I see a system folder labled as "D:\." When I checked the properties, I found out it was my 2nd hard drive, as they both have the same volume label. I cannot delete it though.

I searched about this on Google, and I found a link on How-To Geek that said to go into the registry to remove it. it said to go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace" as well as "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\" for 32-bit programs used in their save & open windows. When I went to those places, all I saw were entries in hexadecimal (for exmaple, '1234-5678-9ABC-DEFA...', etc., etc.) I don't what these entries are because they all say "Value not Set." I am not going to mess around with these folders either as it might break something in Windows that is needed to operate properly.

I think it's redundant to list the same hard disk twice, so how does this "D:\" get created and how do I remove or hide it from showing up, if possible?

Solution

For some reason your documents reference's name got changed to D\. Thats whats going on. Right click and properties and reset it to default.

So when you go to this pc you see 2 hdd's both called "D"? This isn't possible as every drive has it's own letter.

USAFRet

Titan

Pictures are 100% needed here.
Screencap of your Disk Management window, please.

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015

My apologies for not being more clear. Here is what I am talking about right here.

See the "D:\" at the top right above the desktop system folder? That's what I am talking about. How do I get rid of that, or is it a reference point (like the "Documents," "Pictures," etc. are listed in the Libraries folder on the left) to my 2nd hard disk (labeled "Data & Programs") and cannot be removed?

USAFRet

Titan

So...
You have 2 physical drives?
A 240GB C drive, and a 500GB D drive?
Again...a screencap of Disk Management is helpful.

I'm struggling to see what the issue is.
That label "Data and Programs" is (probably) simply a label.

For some reason your documents reference's name got changed to D\. Thats whats going on. Right click and properties and reset it to default.

Solution