Driver power state failure - ntoskrnl.exe

Stealthunter

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Hello,

this morning I tried installing Oracle VirtualBox to do some virtualization since VMWare asked me to remove credential guard. Twice I tried to run a VM and my computer crashed. After that, Chrome would open and not respond at all, my Ethernet wouldn't work (but the WiFi is ok since I'm writing here) and when I restart the computer, 95% of the time I get a "device power state failure". So I have reset the PC while keeping my files, no success. Reset PC without keeping my files, no success.
I did a memory diagnostic (was fine). I did sfc (all fine). I also tried to update my Ethernet drivers and they said it was up-to-date, but in the network adapters list (from device manager), unless I'm totally wrong, a few things appeared, all named "WAN Miniport" with only the content in "( )" changing, like "IKEv2, "L2TP", ...

Here is the dump of the error. Information taken from BlueScreenView:
==================================================
Dump File         : 072317-4703-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 2017-07-23 12:31:34 AM
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code    : 0x1000009f
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000004
Parameter 2       : 00000000`0000012c
Parameter 3       : ffffa40a`d35ee7c0
Parameter 4       : ffffb701`eb42d910
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+170e06
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+170e06
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072317-4703-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 12
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 15063
Dump File Size    : 989,556
Dump File Time    : 2017-07-23 12:32:17 AM
==================================================
In case it's needed, here's my specs.

Motherboard: Intel DX79SI
CPU : i7-3960X
GFX: GTX 950

Hopefully, this can be fixed.
Thank you!

Solution
generally, this is caused when a device fails to respond to sleep events. IE it got to sleep and will not wake up.
the general fix is to update the BIOS and the motherboard device drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

you can also work around the problem by preventing devices from going to sleep by going into control panel and setting the entire machine to run in high performance mode. Or, if you know which hardware device is not waking up you can set that hardware to not sleep in device manager.

best option is to do the fix (update bios and the motherboard drivers from the vendors website)

Colif

Win 11 Master
ntoskrnl = windows kernel. windows doesn't work without it, it sits between applications and hardware. It handles memory management, power management & driver requests. It is not cause of error, it just crashed.

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

generally, this is caused when a device fails to respond to sleep events. IE it got to sleep and will not wake up.
the general fix is to update the BIOS and the motherboard device drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

you can also work around the problem by preventing devices from going to sleep by going into control panel and setting the entire machine to run in high performance mode. Or, if you know which hardware device is not waking up you can set that hardware to not sleep in device manager.

best option is to do the fix (update bios and the motherboard drivers from the vendors website)

Solution