Tom's site pop-up ads

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I have a simple question regarding Tom's website. I am running the newest version of Chrome, and I clicked to allow Tom's to send notifications tonight when I entered the site. For the first time ever an advertisement opened a complete new Chrome window/tab on my computer. Is it possible for Tom's Hardware advertisements to be allowing a script to open the window from the site because I allowed pop-up notifications? Or should I be concerned that there could be malware on my computer opening this advertisement tab? Thanks!

I posted this in networking as well but I now realize this might be a better place for the question - my apologies to the Tom's admins in advance if things need to be moved around.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Silmefaron : "Tom's site pop-up ads"

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
By clicking allow, you have allowed notifications to open new tabs and to notify you on the desktop. To turn off desktop notifications please do the following:

When you visit Tomshardware.com, a pop-up window asks you if you want to receive notifications of new stories being posted. You may have clicked “allow.” In the future, select “block” if this window pops up, or just close the window.

The next time one of these notifications appears on your screen, click the little gear symbol in the lower left corner of the box. This will take you to the settings page for the web browser you are using. (For chrome, it’s this: chrome://settings/content). Under the section about notifications (clicking the gear symbol should take you straight there) enter “http://www.tomshardware.com” and select “block.” Or, Tomshardware.com may already be on the list and you can just select “block.”