Cheap IPS Freesync 27": Dell SE2717H or LG 27MP59G-P ?

NateCordova

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Hello there

I'm interested in a cheap 27" IPS monitor with Freesync. I dont mind about 1080p at 27", i have a deep desk, i can place it more than 3 feet away if i have to, but it's got to be IPS , Freesync, and rather large.

My budget does not stretch at all beyond 250€ and since it's got to be big (27"), Freesync and IPS, I narrowed the search down to these two monitors for around 200€:
-Dell SE2717H
-LG 27MP59G-P

The Dell Monitor has a TomsHardware review here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-se2717h-27-inch-ips-freesync-gaming-monitor,4859.html As for the LG, i don't really see a "professional" review anywhere because the monitor is fairly recent.

I'll be using this for casual gaming of AAA titles: think GTA V, Mafia 3, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Resident Evil 7, etc. I'll also be watching some TV conected to it, Animes, a couple of Movies.

Which one you guys think should have better picture/motion quality overall?

NateCordova

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

Are you sure, have you had experience with both?

I was going for the LG due to the larger 40-75 freesync range and more inputs, but if the dell really has better image and motion quality I'd go for it

no hands on experience on the dell, but have knowledge by reading abt it. i have used the LG M68, which is the ultrawide ips 75hz one and i can tell that the color reproduction can be better.
motion qaulity wise, it almost similar. both are 75hz freesync. accepted that lg has a 8hz min range advatage which is significant only if u have a low powered GPU. if u have something like rx480/580, worry not.

NateCordova

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

Thank you for your opinion. I've got just a couple of more questions:
- Do you believe I will experience any ghosting with the dell? Or the LG for that matter? I know it's not a 144hz screen, I'm not even used to a fast TN panel, but are the response times good for AAA games?
- Should the Dell have a more uniform screen? Ex: I can easily notice rather uniform screens in terms of brightness on budget phones, and that's why I always buy Motorolas for that matter.

So far you've been a great help, thank you

The dell uses an lg panel .
I'd expect them to be virtually identical.

Dell however buy those of panels in batches so have a greater uniformity across the model range.

It doesn't mean theyre better but simply that if you buy 3 or 4 dells for office/productivity use (which is where dell honestly make 90% of their sales) out of the box the colour settings & colour gamut will be virtually identical.

I'd take the lg personally because it has 2 digital inputs & audio pass through/headphone out.

Those are necessities for me

NateCordova

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

Well i'm not so sure about them beeing virtually identical since Dell specs the SE2717H brightness at 300cd/m2 and LG 250cd/m2.
Also, LuckySLS reported here that the Dell had better colour accuracy than the LG. The lack of headphone output and being only hdmi is not a dealbreaker to me.

When i was talking about Uniformity I wasn't mentioning quality control or something like that, but rather, equal colours across the entire screen. Like most budget smartphone displays have somewhat dimmer areas than others, even if they are IPS. It may have to do with the viewing angles i don't know for sure.

Both dell and LG won't have any ghosting issues. As far as I know, the Samsung quantum dot models have ghosting issues. And like Matt said, the Dell is more quality focused than LG for their sales. That's y dell has great color calibration out of the box.

I think the out if box calibration is really going to be the only major difference.

As I said the dell with absolutely certainty uses an lg IPS panel , only LG actually make 75htz ah-ips panels as far as I'm aware (apart from a couple of small Korean manufacturers which you will not find in dell products)

Luminosity & brightness specs ?? Yep to be honest manufacturers just tend to make up their own figures in that respect though.

Just go with the dell if the limited connectivity isn't an issue , you will not have an issue with ghosting or response times , those 75htz IPS screens are very very good as a gaming & multi use screen