6850k Overclocking 4Ghz BSOD

rifth427

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
Hello,

I just "upgraded" from a 5820k to a 6850k processor. The 5820k overclocked easily from 3.3 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz easily with just my little H90. But now I'm trying to reach 4.0 Ghz with the 6850k and I'm getting a BSOD after 4 or 5 hours of the computer running (it was idling at the time).

The settings for my attempt at 4 Ghz (using an x99 sabertooth): multiplier of 40, and voltage set to "auto." Memory is set to XMP 2 2400, it's 2133 corsair vengeance.

Prime95 ran for 25 minutes and checked out "okay." But like I said, doing next to nothing it BSODed on me.

I've got other things to consider however but such as; I just formatted all my hard drives and reinstalled everything, drivers may be the culprit to the BSOD, or some other issue. So right now I'm running it just to see if it will stay up and for how long, (at default stock settings, 3.6 and xmp off.)

UPDATE:
I've run Prime95 with no overclocking, all factory settings, no problems whatsoever and the machines been up for a day now without a BSOD. So it looks like I'm just having trouble overclocking this processor.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Its likely you need to give it a little more voltage. Most people swear by overriding and setting a static voltage when OC'ing (myself included), but some prefer offset voltage. Auto voltage can be problematic.

That said, 4.0 shouldn't require much at all. Try leaving your voltage at auto to start, and try setting your input voltage to fixed and set it to 1.9. Also set LLC to high or level 1 (whatever setting you have that's max). On an Asus board that may actually provide a touch of extra voltage to your vcore when under load, which you may need. See if that alone helps.

rifth427

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017

Not sure what you mean by LLC or "changing the input voltage." I'm going to change the core voltage to 1.2 and the multiplier to 40 as suggested here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-8.html and see if I can get that stable.

I can't go much higher than 4 Ghz with my water cooler. It couldn't handle it.

Edit: I don't know enough about changing the input voltage to feel comfortable doing that.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
These are very common settings for overclocking. If you're not comfortable i suggest reading around about what these settings are, doing some research and THEN taking on overclocking. Having zero idea is what can get you in trouble and cause damage. There's got to be 50+ posts around toms hardware zone regarding overclocking Intel CPUs and what the common settings are, including guides with every setting needed